Security for Nano Station

If the Nano Station Loco M2 access is by cat5 cable is it stll necessary to have security setup?

I did add secuiry in the setup, but once I did, I could not access any IP's that it was transmitting to. So I had to undo the security in it.

Established Member
Kudos: 258
Solutions: 27

Re: Security for Nano Station

The security is for the wireless so that no one else can connect to the radio and steal your signal. The security has to be done on all sides of the wireless link.
MCSE, MCSD, pAA, dCAP, SONUS, ECE
CCNA, CCNAW, CCNARS, CCNP, CCNPDC, CCIESP
Megaphat Networks, Long Island, New York, USA

The nano station is sending data from a PC to wireless ESP-01 modules which output the data hardwired to pixel strings.  The Nano Station isn't associated with my internet access. The ESP-01's have the ssid and password of the Nano Station. So that is the function of the Nano Station.

That being said, can someone still get in and disrupt the flow of data if I don't setup WPA2 Pesonal security?

Established Member

Let me put it to you this way, if you do not set up ANY security on a Wi-Fi Access Point, can someone easily get in and grab your data?

Ok, thank you for the help.  I will have to figure out why after I set a sequrity for it, why the ESP's didn't get the data.

Established Member

1) what is an ESP and 2) what is an ESP?
Established Member

Oh I see it's an arduino Wi-Fi pre-built. Yea umm, airMax devices use TDMA and are specifically not designed to work with Wi-Fi.
Established Member

If the ESP-01 happened to work with an airMax device, consider yourself lucky. But specifically speaking, if you want to extend your wireless range using UBNT devices, I would consider a UAP-AC-M with a UMA-D directional antenna. you won't get more than 300 meters, but it is more of what you are looking for.

Sorry for late reply,  I did add security to the Nano Station.

I purchased the Nano Station on recommendation from another user whom is using to send data to ESP-01 8266 modules. After I got it set up I had noticed some lagging in signal at different times .  I had the modules in Unicast mode. Then I changed them to Multicast and it appeared that the signal lagging had cleared up. But the other night I thnk I did catch it at a moment when I saw a some lagging again. So,  if I decide to get another model I'll check out your recommendation.

thanks Ken

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

It is not that easy to get into your data and neither is immposible. So its better if you be secured from your side. Although without security someone may easily access some of your saved passwords.

Regards,

https://www.techwhoop.com/video-stabilizer-software/