Kudos: 133
Solutions: 1

ToughCable Pro rate for Direct Burial

Is ToughCable Pro rated/suitable for direct burial?  The datasheet just keeps referring to it as "outdoor".

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2169
Solutions: 335

Re: ToughCable Pro rate for Direct Burial

I believe so, but I don't have a spec sheet that seems to confirm that. @eejimm have you buried this cable?
SuperUser
Kudos: 11385
Solutions: 698
Contributions: 1

Not specifically - we usually put conduit or duct underground to pull any cable through.   But it does use HDPE for the jacket, and it should be OK in a lot of cases.   But if you are in either very wet soil or very rocky ground, or if you can't get down below the frost point then mechanical issues can damage the cable over time.   Plus if you are in an area with lots of little critters underground who like to chew on things - gophers, voles, even squirrels - you need armored or double jacketed cable to survive them.   So there's not a simple answer here.

The direct-burial fiber we use is often armored unless we are either in very sandy soft soil, or we put in duct first.   Use your judgement, and consider how much effort you have to put into burying it in the first place - it may be better in the long run to put in conduit.   You really don't want to have to dig it up sometime in the future...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Kudos: 152
Solutions: 22

Agree with @eejimm. I've done it before and at some point you'll probably regret not putting cable in conduit.

SuperUser

One low cost alternative to rigid conduit is to get 100 foot rolls of sprinkler pipe - the black pipe sold in big box hardware stores.   It's easy to bury and works great as conduit - I would use 3/4 or 1 inch diameter to make pulling through easier.   A 100 foot fishtape will let you pull the cable through after it's in the ground, and if you need a longer distance you can put intermediate handholes every 100 feet - the plastic valve pit boxes for sprinklers work great for this and are around $20 each.   You can also blow a small sponge (cut to fit in the pipe) with a string attached through the pipe with compressed air, and then use the string to pull the cable.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...

I see lots of recommendations for using sprinkler pipe. 

What are you paying for it?  Around here, the sprinkler pipe is slightly more than the grey electricical PVC, and it's not as thick.

SuperUser

Depends on how much you buy.   In 100 foot rolls 1.25 inch is about $0.56 per foot from the big box stores.   But if I buy it from an Agricultural Supply in 1000 foot rolls it's less than $0.30 per foot.   And you don't need to glue sections together.   Same size PVC conduit costs around $0.68 per foot here, but then you need the glue and primer to connect them together, and figure your time, plus you can't really use a vibratory plow to pull it into the ground...

Yes Sched 40 rigid PVC is  more protective of what's inside, but as an old Engineering trope goes "Anyone can build a bridge to stand up, but it takes an Engineer to builld a bridge to just barely stand up".   Bigger isn't always better  ;-)

Jim

Holy cow, those prices are insane!

Here at Menards, 1/2 electrical PVC is on sale for $1.19/10' stick, that's .12/foot and 1000' 1/2 irrigation is on sale for $120.14, Or .12/foot.

Where are you that you're paying 3-5 times that?

Kudos: 74
Solutions: 10

I've direct buried the non-pro version. It only gave us trouble when somebody got it with a rototiller.
db