Working around obstructions

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, and far, far from an expert, but have been using Ubiquiti 2 GHz M2-400's for several years to get internet service to my home since our local phone company doesn't offer high speed, and the satellite services haven't met our needs. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to help me out. 

I have been using 4 radios on my system in order to work around a high ridge with trees that obstructs line of sight from my AP to my home. Here's a view:

Snap1.jpg

I currently have:

AP - Router - Radio - Radio (1.5 miles) - Router - Radio - Radio (0.5 miles) - Router to get this to my house. I'm thinking there is probably an easier and more robust method. I've looked for a similar situation in the forums, but I haven't come across a precise solution to my issue. When everything's working, it works well an I get minimal drop in speed at my home, however, it hasn't been overly robust. 

I'm guessing this is a simple solution for someone in the know. 

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2169
Solutions: 335

Re: Working around obstructions

What issues are you seeing with this setup now? What is prompting you to want to upgrade it?

Thanks for your reply. What I would like to accomplish is a way to see all of the radios in the system from my home and to get the router out of the middle. For some reason that one has a tendency to go bad on me. Also, I can't always get into that location to reset the router, but I can get to the access point. 

Is there a way to configure in such a way that I can go directly from LAN to LAN on radios 2 and 3 without the router in-between? 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 276
Solutions: 78

You don't need a router at the indirect hop; have you tried connecting the LAN ports of the POE injectors together?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

I'm going to try that tonight after restoring everything to default settings. I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special between the two radios in the middle to configure them to work in that way.

Ubiquiti Employee

Bridge mode, with WDS on and correct IP addressing or DHCP.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Would I set both radioes (2 & 3) to bridge mode using the IP address coming in from the access point essentially “bridging” to my station?

SuperUser
Kudos: 4643
Solutions: 1049

[ Edited ]

You're looking at 2 bridges of AP to Station with the middle relay point radios connected to each other by the LAN ports on the PoE injector.

Give each bridge pair their own SSID and frequency.

Give each radio a unique IP address. Also give them decent physical separation, ideally 3 metres horizontal and 1 metre vertically. Consider using RF Armor shielding kits.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Ubiquiti Employee

As Fireblade says, use unique addresses. All 4 radios should ideally be bridge mode, as you have a dedicated router. This way the airMAX devices act essentially as a wireless ethernet run.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

You can't imagine how much I appreciate your help on this.....

So the visual is essentially what I have below. Unfortunately, the middle 2 radios are on a Rohn tower about 40 feet up, and I need that height. I might be able to lower the initial radio to get the 3 meter horizontal separation. With that in mind, could the fact that these two radios are side by side, 90 degrees to each other be causing some issues?

I will take your advice and give this a try in the next day or two and provide an update (and likely more questions).....

4 Radio Bridge.jpg

Established Member
Kudos: 465
Solutions: 45

You would probably be better off if you had used 5 GHZ radios instead of the 2.4 GHZ radios. You also are using two routers and that may not be the best idea.

These are the things I would check or change in your setup.

1. Make sure that the two links you have are on widely seperated RF channels. If the first link radio IP's 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 are as an example on the low end of the RF band then have the next pair of radios on the high end of the band. This will prevent the radios from interfering with each other. Use the Airview utility to scan to find the best frequency for each radio. 

2. There is a setting in the airmax radios on the services tab to enable a ping watchdog. I would set this to the IP address of the router at the end closest to the internet. From the looks of your network its IP is likley 192.168.1.1. I would set the ping interval to 60 seconds and the startup delay to 300 seconds. In this way if a radio ends up having an issue it will reboot after a minute if it can't reach the first router. The 300 second startup delay is useful so that if an upstream radio reboots you won't end up in a situation where all the radios are rebooting as they cant connect quickly enough to the first hop. 

3. If problems presist you can replace one or both links with 5GHZ radios. There are many more channels available in the 5 GHZ band so it is easier to find cleaner spectrum that will perform better. 5GHZ also has a smaller fresnel zone so it would improve the link in most cases. You can also uses wider channel widths and still have spectrum that does not overlap compared to the 2.4 GHZ radios you have in use. 

SuperUser

I would certainly say that running these radios side by side at your relay point will cause you issues.

2.4GHz is not good for this purpose anyway as there are only 3 non overlapping channels and these are 1, 6 & 11

5GHz has more space so you can give yourself good frequency separation allthough these still don't like to be colocated closely. RF Armor shield kits really help in this instance and you ca get away with slightly less physical separation.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Well, I'm back with an update. Here is what I've done so far:

Router

PoE - Radio 1 (Static IP 192.168.1.2 / AP)

Radio 2 (Static IP 192.168.1.3 / Station)

PoE (Connected to Radio 3 via LAN ports on PoE injectors)

Radio 3 (Static IP 192.168.1.4 / AP)

Radio 4 (Static IP 192.168.1.5 / Station)

Router

This is working but planning to do the following as a next step as I've upgraded my routers:

Base router: Static IP 192.168.1.1 / DHCP Enabled / DHCP range 192.168.1.40 - 192.168.1.250

Home router: Static IP 192.168.1.6 / DHCP disabled

Thoughts?

Established Member
Kudos: 465
Solutions: 45

[ Edited ]

What RF channel are you using on radios 1-2 and radios 3-4?

Highlighted
SuperUser

That should do it as we said before as long as you have different ferquencys and SSIDs in each pair of links.

At the home end you could use a router with a static IP and DHCP disabled with the LAN port used for for connetion to the Stationand not use the WAN port. This would make it an AP and switch on your network using the DHCP from the source router.