Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

airGateway as a DHCP Server

I'm looking to potentially build a simple network with a laptop, long range wifi link, and a Raspberry Pi on the other end. The aim of this is to mirror what the laptop's screen is showing on the r.pi (using VNC) at the remote location for people to view.

This won't be a permanent install - it'll be setup for a day at a time (at an event) so I just want to explore some options before I spend any money on it, and it won't ever be connected to the internet.

This is vaguely what the setup will look like:

ubnt rg.png

Ideally I need this to be a 'plug and play' system that the event orginiser can set up and take down themselves. I was going to use an old WiFi router instead of the airGateway, but I like the idea of how compact it can be, so if I can, I'd rather go for an airGateway - however, I do have a couple of questions before I do:

1. Does the airGateway have the ability to set up Static DHCP reservations? In this case, I want the laptop to always get the same IP address.

2. Will the DHCP server work across the NanoStation bridge? For example, can it hand out DHCP addresses to the r.pi and any additional access points and/or devices that join the network on either end? At a later date I might want to add a WiFi AP to the r.pi end so I can manage it from there, can I do this and it'll get a DHCP IP from the airGateway?

Thanks in advance. Smile

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 7884
Solutions: 497
Contributions: 1

Re: airGateway as a DHCP Server

Yes, the AG runs the same firmware as the M series radios (just without AirMax) so you can do all that.   But why not just set static IPs on the devices?   Static reservations are still locked to the MAC address, so there's little advantage there...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 7884
Solutions: 497
Contributions: 1

Yes, the AG runs the same firmware as the M series radios (just without AirMax) so you can do all that.   But why not just set static IPs on the devices?   Static reservations are still locked to the MAC address, so there's little advantage there...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

Thanks! I probably will to be honest, I was just wondering if it was possible. There's a chance the network will be used for more things down the line so having DHCP across the link is important, along with static DHCP for the laptop.

I've also never actually used any airMax/airOS devices before, so I'm not familiar with them!