Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Best option for short link 60M

I'm doing a short link between a water tower and building that will be used for storage. Because of the short distance I'm looking for low gain antenna options to keep the signal levels down. The building will have several IP cameras that will stream their recordings to an offsite DVR, so I'm planning on 60mbps-80mbps continuous usage. I've come up with 3 options, but looking for recommendations if anyone has experience with a similar scenario. Unfortunately because of the paved surface between the buildings, hardline isn't an option. I'm also adding 10 other links at different locations for this client, so ideally I'm hoping to standardize on one platform. I'm leaning towards option 1, but my concern is the omni antenna and interferance.

1. Rocket 5AC Prism + 13dBi Omni

2. IsoStation 5AC

3. Bullet AC IP67 + 3rd party 14dBi panel antenna

Untitled.png

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 5261
Solutions: 1754

Re: Best option for short link 60M

An omni antenna is a bad choice for a point to point link; you end up receiving noise from all directions.

Depending on background noise, it's possible the Nanostation 5AC Loco would outperform the Prism 5AC plus omni antenna.

Isostation 5AC (which you noted) and Prismstation 5AC are also options.
I did it my way .... Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

If this is a point to point link, I don't see the wisdom of an omni antenna.

Pair of Nanostation 5AC Locos will make a fine low cost point to point link.

Remember, they don't come with POE injectors.
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

My reasoning behind the first option was that I wanted the best radio that I could get. My primary concerns are reliability & speed. The budget will fit any of the options. I'll check out the Nanostations too.

SuperUser

An omni antenna is a bad choice for a point to point link; you end up receiving noise from all directions.

Depending on background noise, it's possible the Nanostation 5AC Loco would outperform the Prism 5AC plus omni antenna.

Isostation 5AC (which you noted) and Prismstation 5AC are also options.