Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

Frequency vs throughput

Hi Everyone,

I was speaking to an LCom rep regarding antennas and was told to avoid the 900 MHz band "because 900 has much lower throughput than 2.4 or 5.8"  I told him I wanted to try installing 9 ip cameras on a single, tree-obstructed Pt-Pt link and thought 900 was the best choice.  His comments did not make any sense to me, but I had no facts to argue with him.  Can someone shed any light on this? 

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 650
Solutions: 164

Re: Frequency vs throughput

His gear is likely spread-spectrum frequency hopping. They also use a very narrow channel. 

To give you an answer on the 2.4 link would be wrong of me. I'd have to see the path to guess, but a couple cheap radios will tell you.

Powerbeam m2 400's would be my choice to try.

View solution in original post

All Replies

900 MHz has very little spectrum compared to other bands.

Smaller channel sizes and much higher chance for interference due to it's propogation abilities.

So, yes, 900 is slower.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

Thanks for the quick answer. But since you replied.....

The whole reason for this antenna conversation is because a municipal water department's Lift Station is using 900 MHz to communicate with their controller 1/2 mile away.  My cameras and NVR are on a similar path.  However, his radios do not interfere with my Nano900s but my Nanos knock down his System.  I tried both Channels, and either one kills his communication. I asked him if he was using a specific Channel, but his answer seemed to imply he was using the entire spectrum.  That's how I got into this directional YAGI antenna conversation.  Now I'm wondering if I can use the Higher Power 13 db Nano2.4s to transmit the video? 

1/2 mile distance, couple of large Oak trees in the path...

His gear is likely spread-spectrum frequency hopping. They also use a very narrow channel. 

To give you an answer on the 2.4 link would be wrong of me. I'd have to see the path to guess, but a couple cheap radios will tell you.

Powerbeam m2 400's would be my choice to try.