Highlighted

From House to Detached Garage 180ft Nanobeam M5-16 Setup - Going LOCO about which equipment to purch

[ Edited ]

Hello, all new to the forum.

Did alot of reading yesterday and I believe I have a better understanding of what I need to add wifi access to my cement block garage with metal roof which is located 180ft from my house.

It would also be nice to have wireless signal to the other two buildings located near the garage.  

It will be a straight shot with no trees in the way. (the plot map is old, I have removed most of the trees around the buildings)

The picture shown below shows me standing at the front of the garage. 

I plan to put a wireless camera on each corner of the garage (something like a Arlo or Blink)

I would like wifi access inside the garage for ipad and computer access to browse the internet mainly for when repairing things. 

I would like to have wifi access in the yard between the house and garage if that is possible.

I would also like to be able to add wireless security cameras in the bulding behind the garage another 20ft back so I was hoping the AP would allow for this extra range. 

I have an Asus AC1900 RT-AC68U router in the house. Speet test on wireless is 150mps

I plan to run an ethernet cord from my living room up to my attic behind the wall. 

Are the Nanobeams the right equipment or should I use a Nanostaion Loco M5? 

My plan would be: 

In the attic, outside of the window (very top one), I plan to add a Nanobeam M5-16 NBE-M5-16. 

I believe I will need to use a mount that will allow me to angle down the nanobeam towards the garage. 

I will then add a Nanobeam M5-16 on the outside of my garage. 

What additional items will be needed to then add the wifi signal in the garage from the Nanobeam?

If I am understanding right I could use a Ubiquiti QA UAP-LR.

Would I need to add a router in the garage as well?

Do I need any additional items like a POE?

All input is greatly appreciated! 

plot map to garage.jpgback of house.jpg

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1763
Solutions: 271

Re: From House to Detached Garage 180ft Nanobeam M5-16 Setup - Going LOCO about which equipment to p

I would use a pair NanoStation 5AC Locos for this link, note you will have to buy a PoE PSU for each end as well. Put a Wi-Fi AP inside the garage, and in any other indoor or outdoor space where you want to be able to connect to Wi-Fi.

Re: From House to Detached Garage 180ft Nanobeam M5-16 Setup - Going LOCO about which equipment to p

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
I would use a pair NanoStation 5AC Locos for this link, note you will have to buy a PoE PSU for each end as well. Put a Wi-Fi AP inside the garage, and in any other indoor or outdoor space where you want to be able to connect to Wi-Fi.

What is the reason for recommending the Nanostation over that Nanobeam? 

[ Edited ]

Got a great deal on a pair of Nanostation Loco M5s on ebay. It is my understanding that they come with a POE. Do I still need to purchase more POE?

So for the one in the garage would I just go from the Nanostaion POE to my wireless router or something like an AP to get the wifi signal inside the garage? 

Ubiquiti Employee

For this distance there is little performance difference, and the NanoStation Loco is cheaper.

The M5 version comes with a POE supply, new at least. Yes.

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
For this distance there is little performance difference, and the NanoStation Loco is cheaper.

The M5 version comes with a POE supply, new at least. Yes.

Thanks for the reply!

Would you recommend UAP-AC-LR-US for an AP? 

If I purchase that AP, other than ethernet cords, I should not need any other POE in order to connect the AP to the Nanostation as the M5 comes with a POE correct?

SuperUser
Kudos: 8303
Solutions: 1353

[ Edited ]

Please remember that the older Nanostation Loco radios are

not capable of anything close to 150Mbps data rates. This

may not matter for your remote site, but if it does, you

should use NB-AC-Loco or NBE-5AC-16 radios instead.

If you do use the NanoStation Loco, be sure to enable

the wireless setting for 'WDS-transparent mode'.

In your remote site you can use either your desktop

wireless router or a ceiling-mount UAP-AC-LR or

similar. If you use the wireless router, you should

not use the router section; plug the radio into one

of the LAN ports and configure the wireless router's

LAN scope to be the same as your house LAN.

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Ubiquiti Employee

@brenth560 you will also need to power the UAP-AC-LR, which I believe comes with its own PoE supply (though check in the package contents before purchasing). @Dave-D also offers solid advice for this setup.

[ Edited ]

@Dave-D wrote:

Please remember that the older Nanostation Loco radios are

not capable of anything close to 150Mbps data rates. This

may not matter for your remote site, but if it does, you

should use NB-AC-Loco or NBE-5AC-16 radios instead.

If you do use the NanoStation Loco, be sure to enable

the wireless setting for 'WDS-transparent mode'.

In your remote site you can use either your desktop

wireless router or a ceiling-mount UAP-AC-LR or

similar. If you use the wireless router, you should

not use the router section; plug the radio into one

of the LAN ports and configure the wireless router's

LAN scope to be the same as your house LAN.

Thanks for the reply!

I only plan to access wireless cameras and browse the internet. As long as I get 30mps I would be happy. 

@Dave-D I found a UAC-AP-Pro local for $100 new but it did not come with a POE. Only the AP and wallmount (he said it came in  a 5 pack).

It is my understanding that I will need a POE-48-24W-G to use with the UAC-AP-Pro

Is it also possibly that instead of buying the POE-48-24W-G I could buy some type of switch that will also allow me to power the UAC-AP-Pro and also also allow for an additional ethernet plugin for something like a DVR for wired security cameras?