Highlighted

LiteAP AC + NanoStation vs. Ubiquity Wifi?

I have a house with a garage about 50 meters away (south) and a workshop about 50 metes away (north). I need Wifi in all three buildings.

My ISP terminates their cable at the garage, so I need a way to get the signal into my house and the workshop.

I've been looking at LiteAP AC (garage) and NanoStations on my house and workshop. 

The question is : is this the way to go, also for short distances like this? Are other products better suited for this type of setup, where distances are not great. 

My concern with wifi - and wifi extenders - would be the amount of extenders required. I'd also probably need outdoors extenders, since my house is a solid "log cabin" style house. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1998
Solutions: 304

Re: LiteAP AC + NanoStation vs. Ubiquity Wifi?

These products should work fine over that distance, as long as you are not going through any major obstructions and your garage and workshop are both within the 120 degrees from your house. I would recommend a separate Wi-Fi AP at each building, connected back to the house via your airMAX network.
Kudos: 1

I'm curious to see where people go with this as I am looking at a similar situation about twice the distance.  50m/150feet seems well within the range of the AC Mesh specs (183 meters/600feet).  Maybe a UAP-AC-M-PRO (3x 8dbi antenna) at the source of the broadband and two UAP-AC-M (2x 4dbi antenna) on the outbuildings.  Probably need to mount them outdoors on the wall that faces the other buildings.  Also might need to penetrate at least the log cabin house with ethernet cable and distribute via additional WiFi products, but you would need to do that anyways with the PtMP setup for all locations.

I should note I dont have any first hand experience with this product line.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 508
Solutions: 166

Which direction you go heavily depends on what kind of performance you expect to see.

For best performance, an outdoor airMAX AC PTP or PTMP link would be best.

But if you aren't trying to push a lot of traffic out to the remote building, then a Unifi Mesh uplink could do just fine.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1998
Solutions: 304

Your traffic needs are only going to increase in time. I'd recommend using an airMAX link here.