Highlighted

Product Recommendations for UAV <> Ground Station Link

Hi.

For a research project in university we want to create multiple UAVs those all of them capable of video streaming to ground stations.

And we have some questions about which UBNT products should we use?

Here are the questions:

What kind of UBNT airmax modems should be in the UAVs?

We searched and found that UBNT rocket and nanostations seems OK to us.

But we should of course the UAV has some carry limit so have to consider modem's size and weight. 

What kind of UBNT airmax modems should be in the Ground Station?

We searched and found that UBNT litebeam and powerbeam seems OK to us.

We want maximum data rate and maximum covarage (distance and angles).

Our preferred frequency is 5GHz.

We can use some dish antennas int the ground stations for example 3 dish antenna and all of them seperated with 120 degree angle to get maximum angle of covarege.

So in the Ground Station we can consider the best performance products.

Weight and size of the products are not important.

Also there are EdgeRouter and EdgeSwtich in the products of UBNT.

Should we use them in the Ground Stations?

What are the positive effects to our projects? 

Any recommendations would be quite welcomed.

Thanks for your suggestions and have a great day.

Re: Product Recommendations for UAV <> Ground Station Link

Anyone?
Kudos: 28

How big are the flying machines?  And how far?  You left a lot of details out.

[ Edited ]

@miketedeschi Hi. They could carry any radio that ubnt produced such as bullet rocket nanostation... up to 1-1.5kg

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1627
Solutions: 246

If this is still an open issue for you, we will need a lot more information to help. Can you describe the setup in detail?

Hi.

I want to create a TCP/IP mesh network between UAVs using ubnt modems.

The mesh network also consists the Ground Station.

So between the coordinator uav and ground station there could be another network (p2p) but this UAV should also be able to do mesh networking between other UAVs.

My maximum weight of the modem that an individual UAV can carry is about 1kg (coordinator uav could carry more than that due to carry more than one modem).

Also i want the maximum range that a hop can be.

What  kind of modems can i use for this kind of applications?

Any recommendation will be apprecieated.

Thanks for answers.

Ubiquiti Employee

Is this the same application as your first post? I am still going to need more detail as I mentioned in my last post. Throughput requirements, distances, things like that.

Yes it is the same application.
Well, we need at least 1W of transmitting power for individual modems.
As a result, mesh network between UAVs should last at least 1-1.5km range and up to at least 10-20Mbps.
Between coordinator UAV and ground station, the link should last at least 10-15km range and up to at least 10-20Mbps.
In the ground station we can use directional antenna and we can setup antenna tracker for this application.
Ubiquiti Employee

I don't think airMAX products are what you want for this application. They aren't designed to provide a mesh topology.

What about PtP or PtMP products for this kind of requirements?
Which products you can recommend to us?
Regards...
Ubiquiti Employee

I cannot recommend any airMAX product for this application. Again, they do not provide a mesh topology, mobility or fast reconnections.

[ Edited ]

Since airMAX line is not recommended, perhaps you should consider another product line, as you weren't specifically discouraged from using UBNT products altogether.

That aside, what kind of range are you talking about here? What is the area you intend to service with the network?

I will assume your UAV's are of the multicoptor form factor. Will they be navigating to, and holding postion at a single waypoint to establish the network, and then returning home when batteries get low? This is how I see it if you are using static beam antennas on the ground. To take advantage of the range, which seems the only reason for beam antennas for the network, your video and control antennas would be beam also, and youll be limited to flying within the beam pattern of the control antennas. Flying the UAVs autonomously, to hold positions somewhere within each control antenna's beam pattern, is how I see it working. With beam antennas for the network mounted to the UAVs, you can orient the UAVs accordingly, once in position. This seems limited to me, but then again, I don't know your application, the purpose, the who/what/where is the mesh network intended to service.

but..

If the mesh network is meant to be freely mobile (as opposed to predefined static positions,) then employing antenna tracking at your ground station(s) (for control and video feeds from the UAVs,) might lend itself to the deployment of beam style antennas for the network.

I'm just brain storming (light drizzle?) with you. I built and flew an FPV sailplane, with OSD, headtracking, telemetry, stabilization, return to home, etc., back in 2011-2013. Antenna tracking was something I looked into, but I wasn't really after any more range than I was acheiving with my omnis and clovers. I still thought it was just cool though, and would be fun to build and configure. I used all EagleTree electronics, and was very happy with them, having zero issues ever, partly due to the all the time I put in on the ground testing (it was over 6 months, and countles hours into the build before I maidened.) I know EagleTree were rolling out an antenna tracker at the time. They are probably well into several revisions now. That's where I'd start with antenna tracking, based on my experience with them.

Best wishes on the project-