Kudos: 5

10Mb service offerings using m5's?

I have a site now for months that I have done nothing with. It is 3km from a town with 8,000+ residents. Once our local Ubnt supplier is stocked back up we are going to install a Rocket with probably a 90 degree sector just to cover this town on it own. We will use the m5's as the cpe's.
Customers will see the Rocket AP in the high 50's to low 60's.
Ideally we would like to offer a 10Mb contended service using this equipment as we have access to oodles of cheap bandwidth. What are the chances of this happening with the above equipment in place?
Established Member
Kudos: 51

Re: 10Mb service offerings using m5's?

We offer 10 Mbps contended service using just 802.11a already so the rocket should be able to handle it no problem.

We offer 10 Mbps contended service using just 802.11a already so the rocket should be able to handle it no problem.

What sort of gear are you using already to achieve that?
Established Member
Kudos: 51

What sort of gear are you using already to achieve that?

Depends on distance.
RouterBoard + R5H or R52 or XR5.
Or PS5 or NS5.

You can mix these in some cases to, for example, use Mikrotik for AP and UBNT for CPE.
Kudos: 3

Hi, you guys allow p2p?
===== WISP Cloud monitoring =====

Wispdom - WISP Cloud monitoring

sure do, we use Netequalizer to control it.
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 1

sure do, we use Netequalizer to control it.

We offer 10mbps as well using 802.11a equipment, and we also control p2p with Mikrotik. It is fairly easy to do depending on how many customers you add per ap site. I can offer a pretty consistent 10 mbps if I have fewer than 30 per ap. With the M equipment from Ubiquiti I have only put up 10 clients on a single ap, but all of them are seeing speeds between 50 and 60 mbps right now. I can probably add another 40 or 50 before I get below the 10mbps line, but I will let you know once I load up the ap.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 24

We offer 10mbps as well using 802.11a equipment, and we also control p2p with Mikrotik. It is fairly easy to do depending on how many customers you add per ap site. I can offer a pretty consistent 10 mbps if I have fewer than 30 per ap. With the M equipment from Ubiquiti I have only put up 10 clients on a single ap, but all of them are seeing speeds between 50 and 60 mbps right now. I can probably add another 40 or 50 before I get below the 10mbps line, but I will let you know once I load up the ap.

Is this with AirMax off or on?

Off. Haven't tried anything with airmax on yet. Once the customer base gets higher I will try it with airmax on and see if it helps, but with so few clients it works great without it.

Now thats what im talking about! Ubnt Banana
What channel bandwidths are you using?
What distances are your customers from the AP?
What Aimax sector are you using?

20 mhz channel sizes with farthest client at 2 miles. Signal is around -65 on average. Using the ap in ap wds mode as a bridge and doing all routing with a routerboard 450g board. using the 17 db 90 degree sector. don't have a whole lot of interference in the area either.
Kudos: 67

20 mhz channel sizes with farthest client at 2 miles. Signal is around -65 on average. Using the ap in ap wds mode as a bridge and doing all routing with a routerboard 450g board. using the 17 db 90 degree sector. don't have a whole lot of interference in the area either.

Great info! What are the clients using? NSM5's? Or BulletM5's?

all clients thus far are nsm5. Not sure what adding a single chain client to the group would do to overall throughput. I would try, but finding stock is harder than getting republicans and democrats to agree on anything.

Unlike MT and Star-OS where we can all view the clients signal levels and see what bandwidth they are using, how do you over come this problem with a Ubnt bridge? I mean if a client rings up with a problem, how do you get access to the bridge to see what signal levels they are at to track down a problem?
Sorry now but I mostly use star and im currently a Ubnt newbie.Icon Confused

I have used staros for years now, but like you I am making the transition to ubnt product. It is difficult to get used to the interface differences, but you can see client signal strength, so I am not exactly sure what you are talking about. You can't see how much bandwidth they are using, but I get around that with a mikrotik torch on the other end.
Highlighted

Using the ap in ap wds mode as a bridge and doing all routing with a routerboard 450g board.

Why would you use wds for this application? Would a straight forward bridge not do?
Instead of me using a routerboard for all the routing, I will be using a star-os box in which the Rocket will be plugged into. On the ether port of the star-os box I will have some public ip's, is it just a case for me selecting a public from the star-os box and putting it on the ethernet port of the customers pc or router if I am using a NSM5 on their side?
Also can the bridged clients on this network see each other, or are they all isolated from one another?