Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Established Member
Kudos: 348
Solutions: 41

Aircube Feature Requests

[ Edited ]

Even with latest firmware, I'm guessing this device isn't aimed at your average WISP

1. I can't understand why POE passthru not enabled by default  (or at least have it doing auto detect) ?  
  2. The random printed default password on the GUI is just crazy.  If management is disabled by default then what's the harm in having it as ubnt / ubnt like every other product   (the UNMS app scanned the QR but still asked for password....installers prefer GUI)..

Are there any plans to extend its functionality because at the moment it's as useful as a chocolate sunhat? 

At present I

• can't see arp table,
  • can't see connected clients IP's,
  • can't see WiFi strength,
  • can't port forward or DMZ on it
  • can't run firewall rules
  • can't see ethernet port status
  • can't run any form of specrum analysis
  • can't see routes on it
  • can't run discovery from it
  • can't ssh into it
  • can't do any speedtests / iperf etc from it
  • can't run scripts on it
  • can't review log files on it
  • can't do any watchdog on the POE out port
  • can't select the correct timezone on it
  • can't even ping an IP address from it.

It also should support a secondary DNS server

On the positive side,

• It looks good
  • It has POE output
  • WiFi range is outstanding

IMHO this is a beta product ATM.

Established Member
Kudos: 462
Solutions: 66

Re: Aircube Feature Requests

Agree with the above although I would like to add IMO it’s too light.

With the weight / pressure of the patch leads when they are connected it struggles to sit in place. A good solid weighted base is needed.
>>If you find replies helpful please press the Thumbs Up button to give kudos (thanks). If you feel a reply solves your query please click the Mark as Solution button.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2188
Solutions: 335

It's not enabled by default for safety, and I don't think the passive 24V PoE will support autodetect.

On your other points, these devices are intended to be simpler than airOS devices. They won't support all of the features of airOS but will continue to be expanded in the next few releases.
Established Member

Weight addsto shipping though.  The 4 tiny rubber pads on the base could be a bit bigger though.

Patch lead and joiner is also useful!

SuperUser
Kudos: 11513
Solutions: 704
Contributions: 1

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
It's not enabled by default for safety, and I don't think the passive 24V PoE will support autodetect.

On your other points, these devices are intended to be simpler than airOS devices. They won't support all of the features of airOS but will continue to be expanded in the next few releases.

Agree with this ^^^ concept

I feel people are thinking about this the wrong way.   Show me how you can do a lot of the things in the above list in a low-end D-Link or Belkin firewall appliance.   This is designed for relatively simple installations in user's houses behind CPE/ONU devices.   And we've already seen a lot of things added onto the units functionality.   They will continue on with this progression.

As for the weight thing, people are loosing sight of the shipping costs to many parts of the world this would incurr - if that's your big issue, take some 3M double sided tape and some flat metal weights and weight it down ;-)

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Sorry but I just don't have a fix for willful ignorance, unless you count time and Darwin.... "
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Established Member
Kudos: 192
Solutions: 25

Why not put all of these features in?  And some more power too.  Even airGateway has most of what's needed.   It's not like it's (the ISP version) is really inexpensive

We're finding in some places that a Loco M2 is a good choice  It just needs some LAN ports and some kind of way to let it sit on a table.

I haven't looked at the latest firmware for the airCube that we got for testing, but when we were evaluating it it was very limited and too much trouble to configure.  We put it back on the shelf...

Please do not respond to my threads if you're going to be rude or condescending. We're all learning here... Icon Razz

From the forum rules:
* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
Established Member

[ Edited ]

@eejimm wrote:

@UBNT-SNK wrote:

Agree with this ^^^ concept

I feel people are thinking about this the wrong way.   Show me how you can do a lot of the things in the above list in a low-end D-Link or Belkin firewall appliance.   This is designed for relatively simple installations in user's houses behind CPE/ONU devices.   And we've already seen a lot of things added onto the units functionality.   They will continue on with this progression.

Sorry but I disagree completely.  If t's aimed for WISPs then it's dead in the water as currently it's a pig to configure and there's pretty much zero troubleshooting options.  I don't care what D-Link or Belkin are offering.....all the WISPs I deal with use Mikrotik, AirOS, Cambium or Fritzboxes.....primarily because they do offer more options.  WISP installs are frequently not simple and frequently involve 2 or 3 hour round trips to customers so we need WiFi routers with good troubleshooting features.  

Also, your average TP-Link or D-link can do over half of the things on this list (and that's before putting DD-WRT on them).

Ubiquiti Employee

Have you tried the web UI as well as the app?
Established Member

[ Edited ]

I had to.  I couldn't get the App to play ball.  Scanned the QR code and added it then it pretty much seemed to do nothing.  Needs simple default PWD.

Established Member
Kudos: 462
Solutions: 66

Especially as AirRouter is eol, AirCube needs to be an upgrade. I’d be happy with the same feature set and wireless coverage (we use AirRouter HP’s) with better or more complete remote management & configuration.

>>If you find replies helpful please press the Thumbs Up button to give kudos (thanks). If you feel a reply solves your query please click the Mark as Solution button.
Ubiquiti Employee

What remote management functionality are you referring to?
Established Member

If I were to order them by priority.....I really couldn't use it until the first 3 items were implemented.

• can't even ping an IP address from it.  (traceroute would be nice too)
  • can't see connected clients IP's (DHCP leases)
  • can't port forward or DMZ on it
  • can't run firewall rules
  • can't see ethernet port status
  • can't see WiFi strength (connected clients),
  • can't do any watchdog on the POE out port
  • can't see arp table,
  • can't do any speedtests / iperf etc from it
  • can't ssh into it
  • can't run any form of specrum analysis
  • can't run discovery from it
  • can't see routes on it
  • can't review log files on it
  • can't select the correct timezone on it
  • can't run scripts on it
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks. We'll consider this with our development.
Kudos: 95
Solutions: 5

Feature request

* hide SSID

thanks

CCNA1, CCNA2 (ICND1)
Kudos: 31

Port forwards seem a must have.  We have a lot of customers with camera, hot tubs, and water system on our network that require port forwards to make their equipment work.

Ubiquiti Employee

This is in the next release.
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 1

Read-only account would be nice so customers can't reconfigure or turn off VLANs.

Ubiquiti Employee

A read-only account is in our feature list.
Kudos: 5

I know this is a long thread but as I cannot find and 'official' aircube feature requests area...

add to the very long list some of which I know have been done in 2.4....

1.) disable DHCP

2.) add ability to define a port range for port forawrding rather than individual ports, (similar to AirRouter) i.e. 9000-12999

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

There is an airCube section of the forum now:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airCube/bd-p/airCube