Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Airmax Nano Stattion M5 as Long Range Wifi Hotspot 1km + {Unfi Dsitance is too Small} - No CPE's.

Good day,

I'm in South Africa and want to setup a wireless "internet cafe" vs being a wisp because of affordability issues with clients in area. Most clients cannot buy additonal CPE devices so would rather just use their laptop's or phones and connect to a hotspot. I want to use 3-4 Nano Station M5's as wifi hotspots for 360 degress coverage for 1km+ .

I also need to setup Guest Portal and Paid Ticketing System to take debit/credit card payments from users.

If anyone can help please. I need to know before buying any equipment.

Regards,

Raphala Innovations

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 315
Solutions: 92

Re: Airmax Nano Stattion M5 as Long Range Wifi Hotspot 1km + {Unfi Dsitance is too Small} - No CPE

Your effective range will be limited by the low-power wifi chipsets in the client devices. They typically reach their limits around 30m, but luxury hardware may be able to maintain a connection (though likely a bad connection) up to 50m.

This question is asked often, and there is no workaround without upgrading every user device with external antennas. For that investment, you'd probably be able to build a PtMP airmax network that works ten times better. It may be your best route to start small. Might be able to set up a few hotspots to populated residential areas (with an airMax PtP link from the place you want to broadcast) and add a UniFi AP or two for users to share. This gives you the UniFi Controller, which enables an easy to build guest portal which you can customize to process payments before access. Make a little money offering a simpler service like this perhaps, then invest it back into your WISP plan, subsidize CPEs for home users, and build out.

Once word gets out, you may be surprised that some people will have a little extra money to spend for up-front costs like a CPE and home router.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Re: Airmax Nano Stattion M5 as Long Range Wifi Hotspot 1km + {Unfi Dsitance is too Small} - No CPE

@UBNT-JoshMcGeeThank you for your reply. That sounds like a great solution. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks