Kudos: 2

Airtime and Aiming

Two questions.  Well, maybe more than two.  I'll be the first to admit I'm not a professional.

We currently have a powerbeam acting as AP to a litebeam client and a powerbeam client.  The litebeam is at 6.5 miles and getting great speeds.  The powerbeam is at 8.9 and not great.  I can stand at the client location 8.9 miles away and see the top of the building where the AP is located, so line if sight isn't an issue.  My guess is that my aiming is, but I don't know how to read the constellation to improve things.   You'd think I couldn't mess it up considering I can see both locations.  (The client has a drilling rig, so it's also easy to see from the AP).

Anyway, what's the max signal / throughput I should expect from the power beams at 8.9 miles?  What does the airtime indicate?  It often jumps to 100%.  Would the other client (which is almost perfectly in the same line of sight) interfere?  

Capture.PNG

Re: Airtime and Aiming

One other thing I just thought of.. our client is set at about 6 feet.  The line of site is clear but the 1st fresnel zone is probably not.  I assume that's my problem....

That said, anyone have recommendations for installing a 20 ft pole from thr ground?  I hate heights haha.

Established Member
Kudos: 313
Solutions: 48

Use https://link.ubnt.com/ to simulate(height, TX power, device's) your wireless bridge and post back the simulation URL.

Out of the blue you will need 30' both end's to clear the Fresnel zone.... in perfect conditions.

The current link look bad, if not ...

Regards,

Do not expect me to reply to this post, I'm not sure that I will be able to find it, thank's to ....

here's the simulation... which lead me to believe i could get 70 mbps speed at the client without going above 6 feet.  (again, not a fan of heights)...

Capture2.PNG
Established Member

As you can see from your simulation your Fresnel zone is obstructed. 

Think again, 2m/6ft is nothing for the distance.

Regards,

Do not expect me to reply to this post, I'm not sure that I will be able to find it, thank's to ....

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2099
Solutions: 324

You will need to raise the 2M high end to clear the fresnel zone for this to be a good link.

I will be out there Wednesday.  I can raise it to about 15 feet pretty easy, anything above that will rack my nerves too much ha!

I'll keep you posted.

Getting awesome speeds at my other location 6.5 miles away.

Kudos: 133
Solutions: 21

Your other issue is your frequency choice. It looks like you are being limited to 3dBm output on the radios. That will be near impossible to get much better at a 9mile link. If under FCC jurisdiction, you may want to try something in the 5725-5840mhz range or 5150-5250mhz for a little higher EIRP limits. Since it is a PtMP setup you will still be limited to 36dBm, it you change it to 2x PtP links you could get away with higher EIRP limits. 

I thought that might be an issue, but it's on auto.  We aren't under FCC, I don't think.  Just a company shooting internet to a temporary drilling rig location.  How would I go about changing that?

I'm going to end up with 4 or 5 links, would 5 ptps work better than ptmp?  Is it possible for an AP to connect ptp with 5 different clients?

Ubiquiti Employee

I'd recommend manually selecting your channel rather than using auto. Where is this link deployed?

Oklahoma, north of OKC.

Established Member

@Oklastate19 wrote:

Oklahoma, north of OKC.

You are under FCC rulez.

Adjust the TX power (Maximum Power from Intentional Radiator ) on your simulation to match the Maximum E.I.R.P for PtMP (POINT‐TO‐MULTIPOINT)  set for your Country(US/OK) and post back the output.

Your simulation show PtP link.

Regards, 

Bumped it up to about 18 feet in the air.  Per simulation and "expected rate" I should be seeing better results than I am.

Still a height issue? Or possibly something else.  Switched from ptmp to ptp to get more power, same connection speed resulted.

Capture3.PNG

Also, is it possible to use the same AP for two PtP links rather than the PtMP setup?  When I switched, it did give me the option for more power, but it won't let me set up two individual PtP links.

Following up.  I switched back to Ptmp mode.  Took a litebeam up on the rig floor (30 feet) and got great speeds.  So my issue is 100% height.  Guess I'm buying a pole and some mounting brackets to put it on the side of the trailer. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Good to hear you have identified the cause. Make sure to use proper grounding on the pole.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

I suggest to make it as PtP, coz Pbeam goods for PtP link, not for PtMP. and also check the alignment of your antennas. it looks bad.

Ubiquiti Employee

He can configure it in PtMP mode, even if it is physically a PTP link. This allows the use of more wireless link modes.