Kudos: 6

Ambient Noise Level red on several PtP after a while on the used channel after newest FW Update

Hello together, 

should i be concerned if the Ambient Noise Level shows red on the Frequencies the device is using and wich where clean before stepping onto it?

My Airview looks as follows:

Using Frequeny 5550 MHz with 20 MHZ Bandwidth the Ambient Noise Level is deep red with -65 dBm on the Dashboard

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-14 um 13.50.55.png

Now the Airview atfer changing to 5700 MhZ, things are looking "normal" and the Ambient Noise Level is Green with values between -90 and -100 dBm, but if i leave it running for a while it changes to red as in the picture above...

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-14 um 14.25.14.png

Should i worry about this? The link seems to work, but in the past it has performed better with transmission rates dropped by 50%. Firmware is 8.5.4, i have updated to 8.5.11 and noticed these things to come up. Then i downgraded again but with no improvement.

What i also noticed is that the Signal Strength decreased by 5 to 10 dBm after the FW Update - does anybody have noticed same behaviour? I will check for alignment in the next days, but maybe thats all linked together...

Best regards,

Tobi

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2165
Solutions: 334

Re: Ambient Noise Level red on several PtP after a while on the used channel after newest FW Update

It is likely that the radio is seeing its own transmissions, or those of it's clients, and reporting those on the scan. If this is the case, then it shouldn't be affecting your performance. I haven't seen signal strength decreases between these versions; can you provide a bit more info on what you are seeing?

Re: Ambient Noise Level red on several PtP after a while on the used channel after newest FW Update

Hello @UBNT-SNK,

thanks for your reply. Good to know that devices sometimes show their own transmission or those of its clients, which is the case here. I thought that this is filtered out and think its a little bit confusing if the noise level is deep red...

I digged also a little deeper into my problems with the signal strength:

Until the last FW Update i ran all my PtP Links with their own 24V Passive power adapters. Right in the phase when i updated the devices to 8.5.11 i changed the power input source onto some brand new US-8-150W PoE Switches. I thought that these are enough to power some Nanobeams , Powerbeams and Rocket Prism AC Gen2. 

My tests showed that if i power the device with the Switch, the Connection is getting worse or even could not be established. I then plugged the device again into the separate PoE Power adapter and voila - connection is much better...

One switch powers 1-2 UAP-AC-LR, 1 Nanobeam, 2-3 Powerbeam and 1 Rocket Prism. No device takes more than 10W according datasheet so 150W total should be well enough. 

Is that a known issue? I never heard of that and the specs of the switch (max Wattage around 17 per Port) compared with the max consumption of my AC Devices (8-9W) say that it should work.

Or is there anything to do in the settings?

Seems all a little bit weird to me.

Thanks for looking at this

Ubiquiti Employee

I have a feeling that this is not the reason - the radios would not know they would be able to receive less power and adjust their transmit power accordingly, they would just attempt to draw the required amount of power either way.
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 6

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
It is likely that the radio is seeing its own transmissions, or those of it's clients, and reporting those on the scan.

Can we clear this up?

Is the red in the scan showing it's own transmissions, it's clients transmissions, or unrelated stations transmissions?

Ubiquiti Employee

As the red appears to follow the channel that the user selects when it was clear before, I'd say the most likely explanation is the radio seeing its own transmissions, or those of its clients, which I can see in a lab environment. It would be a coincidence for another user to begin transmitting in that same channel at the same time, but it's not impossible; I can't say whether that has occurred without more information.

It as definitve the device itself which detected the signal on its own channel. But the Rocket Prism and its Antenne which detected this where previously experiencing a heavy storm and maybe a little bit damaged. I changed the device and antenne with a new one and now it seems to be normal again with no noise on the own channel.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for the update, glad you got this resolved.