Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Beam spread Question

Installing an M900 airbridge. Access point is .83 miles from the station and is approx 24' off the ground. The station is 30' off the ground. How much can the vertical adjustment on the antenna bracket have on the beam width and the possibility of an beam over shoot on either side? If by accident one or the other or both are set at ten degrees up, could this effect connection quality?

thank you for your help.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 521
Solutions: 41

Re: Beam spread Question

@UBNT-Nick Please take a look.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 53
Solutions: 17

If you aim both devices too high you will not get the best signal. You will need to point the first one the best you can, install the second and get the best possible signal, then go back to the first to realign.

It would also be worth the second trip to the far side of the link to double check the alignment there again too.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Thank you, Nick. I have set the Access to 0 degrees and now I am getting a fair connection. I have not been able to do the station yet because it requires a lift to reach it at 38ft. I have attached screen shots of both the access and station. I would love some feedback.

Access.jpg
station.jpg
Ubiquiti Employee

It's good that you have it connected, but it is a pretty poor connection. Alignment may be way off. I definitely suggest you double check the alignment when you get a chance.

Is this shooting through several trees?

You may need to upgrade to the Rocket M900 with a yagi on both ends to get better results.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

This is the best signal I have gotten in two weeks. I think the one dish was pointed up too high and over shooting. I need to check the station and see what it is set at I guess.

It is shooting through a few trees, yes. I thought the Nanobridge M900 was good with a few trees. Hmm. Now do the altitudes of the two antennas have to be spot on to get a good signal?

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Nick We just discovered that the access point altitude is 3753ft and the station is sitting at 3772ft or 20ft above the access point. Could this attribute to our problem? Btw I tightened the bandwidth to 10Mhz.and managed to get a solid 3.25 tx and rx

Before I rent another lift and waste a 8 hours in the sun can anyone look at my situation and tell if I altitude of the two antennas being off by 20' will make a difference in my weak signal or should I bag the M900s, send them back to Amazon and purchase something different? The only way I can do this is next week so I have to plan ahead.

Please help.

SuperUser
Kudos: 7445
Solutions: 556
Contributions: 2

Is there a hill in the way??????

If there is, you must aim up the hill on both sides.  Your signal doesn't make sense for such a short distance.  You should be getting much stronger signals.   Check the path.  900 will climb over short hills, but you must aim over the hill.  Also make sure each end has as much clear space before hitting trees.  Aiming right at a tree is not going to work well. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

[ Edited ]

Claude,

Thank you. We are about a city block on each side before we hit any trees at all. No hills in the way. I am confused as to how the radio wave travels from the dish. Is it a flat wave as in Figure B or is it in Figure A?

I always thought radio waves traveled like Figure A.

m900.jpg
SuperUser

The signal travels in a fresnel.  900 has a fairly large one.  Think of a football (american) with each tip being a side of the link.

If there are no hills, and trees only a block away, you have a serious aiming problem. 

Can you show the wireless tab on the radios?

wire.jpg
SuperUser

On the access point side, can you click Stations at the bottom?

I still think either the trees are extremely dense, or there's a serious aiming issue going on here. 

Claude, I am not able to connect to the access side at this time. I will have to drive out there. Could part of my problem be that the Station antenna is 20' above the height of the Accespoint?

Ubiquiti Employee

The devices need to be pointed directly at each other. If the station is higher than the access point then you need to point the station slightly down. The AP needs to be pointed slightly up. They should be pointing at each other vertically and horizontally.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-NickIn your professional opinion looking at what I currently have for signal strength will upgrading to the Rocket M900 with a yagi on both ends be a solution to my problem? I kind of need to know before I approach the wife. ;-)

Ubiquiti Employee

I think we should get some installation pictures and a top view via Google Maps. These are either extremely thick trees or your alignment is severely off. Let's get these pictures before we go down the path of buying new equipment.

In case you are unable to provide the pictures, I can't say that the Rocket + Yagi will solve the problem. But, I do believe it will at least create a better link.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

The only real challenge I can see is a single two story building. Other than that we are high enough to go over

the few trees in our way. It is only .83 miles or 5/6 of a mile between the access point and the station. I am sure there has to be an amped up way of getting the connection.top2.jpg

@UBNT-NickThis is what you wanted, correct?

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, I'm not sure where my post went. I thought I had already responded.

Anyways, I'm guessing that building is in the way, that explains the signal levels. You aren't going to be able to get a reliable link with that kind of an obstruction. In this case, I'm not sure if a yagi would help at all in this case.

Your best bet would be to see if you can relay off the top of that building that is in the way, or, find a different route.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png