Best configuration for M900 network incorporating Unifi equipment

Hello,

I have a 900mhz network to distribute Internet to (currently) 4 sites all within about a mile.  I had originally set up the system using the M900's in bridge network mode which worked great until I added another site that streams video from the Internet.  Then I ended up getting a lot of broadcast traffic (as I understand it) that slows things down to unusable due to the bridge configuration.  I have unifi USG's and other network gear at each site currently configured with a public IP plugged into the M900 and DHCP for the respective LAN's.  I am a networking novice, so please go easy on me as I try to explain and ask pertinent questions Man Happy

M900 Access Point 192.168.100.xxx

M900 Station X4 192.168.100.xxx

USG at each site has a static public IP and performs DHCP and routing/NAT

Is it better to put the public IP's on the M900's and use them as my SOHO router?  In this scenario, how would I best incorporate the USG?  

Can I change radios from bridge to router mode one a time, or would I need to take it all down for reconfigure?

Could I eliminate the broadcast traffic problem with my current configuration by incorporating VLAN's, leaving the M900's in bridge mode?  I'm just becoming familiar with VLAN's, but have the right hardware in place to support it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3867
Solutions: 793
Contributions: 73

Re: Best configuration for M900 network incorporating Unifi equipment

You could run the M900s in either bridge or router mode (APs are almost always bridge mode).  Myself, I would leave the M900s in bridge mode and leave the public IP on the USGs.

>Can I change radios from bridge to router mode one a time, or would I need to take it all down for reconfigure?

If you do try switching to router mode (I don't think it will make a big difference), make sure that "Block Management Access" isn't enabled (the default is enabled).

How many other devices are on the same layer two network at the M900s?

Would it be possible to see a screenshot of the APs Main tab -> Monitor -> Station List?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Thank you UBNT-James, that helped me!

I have about 10 devices on the 192.168.100.x network.  A couple of multi-homed servers I used to get to the devices on the private network and the Ubiquiti M900's.

One station is down on this as I've been playing with it.  I'm very open to suggestions on tweaking this network to eek out the best performance.  I think the   One station ran for over 500 days without a hiccup, overall I couldn't be more pleased with this setup - it's been working for years with very few interruptions.

M900-AP.JPG

This capture looks like my 3rd grade math test... Man Happy

Highlighted

I now believe the problems I encountered were due to me connecting two switches together while rewiring my server room - the two networks had default gateways, dhcp servers...

Testing this morning loading things up a bit everything seems to be working well, and I think I was the faulty element!