Emerging Member

Bullet AC as Replacemnet for PicoStation M2 Ethernet Bridge with UniFi?

I was preivously using a PicoStation M2 as an ethernet bridge with a UniFi deployment and it worked great. However, the PicoStation died and now I'm trying to find a replacement. I'm testing with a Bullet AC but am not able to get it to connect. It sees the APs/SSIDs just fine, but just says "Local Chains" are down and keeps searching for signal. I have it set to Station PTP but have also tried Station PtMP. Seems like it should work unless it's expecting an airmax on the other end or something.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

Re: Bullet AC as Replacemnet for PicoStation M2 Ethernet Bridge with UniFi?

The Bullet AC will only connect wireless to other airMAX products, it doesn't support standard Wi-Fi.
Emerging Member

I'm just curious from a technical standpoint why that is. The Bullet talks on the same frequencies, sees the UniFi SSIDs, supports WPA2....

Ubiquiti Employee

We use the airMAX AC coprocessor to provide higher performance than we would be able to achieve by leaving the standard Wi-Fi driver and code in place. There's a limited amount of space for all of this to go in, and our focus is on airMAX rather than standard Wi-Fi for airMAX products.
Emerging Member

Is there anything that would work as a wireless ethernet bridge from Ubnt, preferably in a picstation/bullet ac form factor?

Ubiquiti Employee

You should be able to find a Bullet M2 for this use case.