Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Bullet M2 HP Speed Negotiation

I have two Bullet M2 HP units in bridge mode. I set the speeds static on both radios to MCS 7 65. The client is connecting at 65 Mbps TX & RX with -66dBm strength, -96dBm noise, and CCQ of 100%. I was having issues with the AP side negotiating to 1Mbps when I had the speed set to auto and it would never re-negotiate to anything faster. The static config was working excellent until a thick fog set in this morning. The radios couldn t hold the link together.

I ve flashed to the Firmware Version XM.v5.0.2-rc.2553.090829.0448 last week and the auto negotiated speed issue still exists. I couldn t find a Rate Algorithm section is AirOS 5.

Any ideas?
Kudos: 1

Re: Bullet M2 HP Speed Negotiation

Don't know about everyone else but fog IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!

For instance, I have one customer across the river that from about 6AM until 10AM, will have a signal quality of -89 with a noise floor of -98 (not good!). After the fog burns off or if there is no fog, it hovers around -66 (he is 3/4 mile from my tower).

He has yet to complain and I am almost over the OCD associated with it so...

Sig
SouthEast WiMAX
Emerging Member

OCD. NICE! Thanks for that bit of info. I'll remember that when people call to complain. Man Wink
The negotiating problem happens all the time, mostly after a few hours of inactivity... nobody accessing through the connection.
Bueller? Bueller?
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5969
Solutions: 128

Just for your elucidation, the particle size of fog water droplets is too small to affect wireless...BUT...

The temperature inversion associated with the weather event is either bending your signal into the river, or bending it way over the user's head. It depends if your AP is over or under the temperature gradient.

A cold front moving through (a short term event) will do the same thing.

Likewise in the spring and fall for a two to four week period, during about an hour after sunrise and hour after sunset, you will have a similar bending. I predicted this and after a year of testing, we verified the prediction model. We did that several years ago.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Ancient Member

74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:qVg0snEeEv4J:www.ubnt.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D29877%26sid%3D8009b...
74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:sJFK4e6UNRAJ:forum.ubnt.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D18755%26highlight...
74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:vNO-B7hckTEJ:www.ubnt.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D18275%26sid%3D2b614...
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

Previous Employee
Kudos: 24

Hello,
When you have a link connected and the RX shows as 1Mbps, how much speed to you get through the link? Can you post a screenshot?
Thanks,
Mike

A...HA!

WHT, I had my suspicions that "Planet Texas" was nowhere close to "Planet Earth". Your bloviating above proves as much! I will wear my tin-foiled hat whenever I log into the forum from this day forward.

However, I-DID-NOT-KNOW-THAT, and as much as I hate to admit, was an interesting "tidbit" of information.

THANKS!
Sig
SouthEast WiMAX
Ancient Member

WHT, I had my suspicions that "Planet Texas" was nowhere close to "Planet Earth". Your bloviating above proves as much! I will wear my tin-foiled hat whenever I log into the forum from this day forward.Sig
Confused..oh well, take it for what its worth.

Emerging Member

When I can afford to take the link to a non-critical state, I can attempt the auto negotiate issue and take a screenshot.
Yes. The RX on the Station-WDS end says 1Mbps. I'm behind the Station end most of the time except when I'm at work. Transfer speeds are non-existant with the link in this state. I can get pings through but no other traffic seems to cross. I end up using my cellular Internet to log in and reboot the AP end The link comes back solid.
I'm sure having the link auto negotiate during the fog could have kept the link up at sub 65Mbps speeds.

the movie "Signs"...

self explanatory...
SouthEast WiMAX
Highlighted
Ancient Member

I have not been to a movie theater since..ummm, hmmm...when an ex-boyfriend dragged me to see lord of something with munchkins with big feet. And I haven't watched commercial television since...lets see, this is almost the end of the first decade of the Second Millenium....oh, yeah, last TV show I watched was Hawaii Five-0 in the late seventies. The year Jimmy Carter was elected president over Gerald Ford.

I clearly remember mumbling "TV is nothing more than freaking video wallpaper..."

Last week I had a TV cable company call my new cellphone number that belonged to someone that had a past due cable bill. I told them I haven't cable TV since a year after MTV launched. Remember "Video Killed the Radio Star"??? I heard a distinct from her.