Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Can the NanoStation Loco M5 be made to work similarly to the NanoStation M5

I've had the regular (full-size?) NanoStation M5 for several years. Even though it wasn't simple to configure, I did eventually find the correct settings and got it working well.

I use it as an AP to allow me to connect wirelessly to a wired device that has a fixed IP address.

The wireless setup on the NS is set up so it has DHCP on the wireless side. I can also connect the wired 2nd Ethernet connection on it to a computer (again with DHCP) to access the fixed-IP device.

All works great.

So, I wanted a smaller version, so bought the Loco M5, and since it uses the same software and firmware, figured I could get it to work the same way, minus the wired connection. However, I cannot seem to configure it to do the same thing. The wireless device never sees the wired (fixed-IP) device.

Is it not possible to set up the Loco to work this way? I am very much a newbie when it comes to networking. Consumer stuff I can set up easily, but the complexity of the UBNT stuff is over my head. I've just used configurations I've found online. Specifically it seemed I need to change frequency tables so that it would work well with Apple products like the iPad...

Anyway, what I want to do is use the Loco as a simple AP (I believe) that does this:

Fixed-IP wired

DHCP wireless

wireless speaks to wired.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 568
Solutions: 150

Re: Can the NanoStation Loco M5 be made to work similarly to the NanoStation M5

@Meestor_X

The M5 has been working for you because in soho router mode the defaults are:

LAN0 is used for WAN

LAN1 and WLAN are bridged (BR0)

DHCP is on BR0
If you change the network settings from the working NSM5 from simple mode to advanced you will see this.

So, if you use LAN0 (main port)  as your "input" the radio works as a SOHO router,

if you use LAN1 (secondary port) the radio act as it is in bridge mode (LAN1+WLAN) with DHCP.

From what I understand, you have been using it's secondary port and has been working.

The NSM5 Loco has only one lan port - so in SOHO router mode it won't work.
The only way to get it to work as you want, is to change modes from router to bridge.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have DHCP in bridge mode via its UI.
A way to get around this is to activate DHCP by modifying the configuration file.

In my first post I briefly explained this.

Setup the NSM5 Loco in bridge mode as you have done previously (upper post)
Download it's configuration file.
Delete all lines in regards to "dhcpd"
Add these in place:
dhcpd.1.devname=br0
dhcpd.1.dns.1.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dns.2.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.end=192.168.1.254
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.netmask=255.255.255.0
dhcpd.1.start=192.168.1.100
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled

Save the file, and re-upload it.

PS - Edit the post you made with your configuration file and change the password you are using.
Got me in trouble for not noticing it when I uploaded the modified file.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 299
Solutions: 86

Is the other end of the link another airMax radio? If not, you have to disable the airMax protocol in the Ubiquiti tab of the configuration dashboard.

If you find all of this setup and networking confusing, please keep in mind that we have a help center that we actively maintain to help users like you understand better how to use the products. Try reading some of the material there, it may help make some sense of a few things.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply.

I know about the disabling of AirMax. As I said, I have it working perfectly with the NanoStation M5.

I have gone through the help center, watched tutorials, and so on. I learned enough to get my NS M5 to eventually work properly. There is certainly nothing in that help center that I have been able to find as a solution to this specific issue. I also seached this forum to see if it was a question previously asked. If you can find a solution, please point me to it, because I couldn't!

Here's what I've tried: I made sure that both were running the same version of AirMax/Firmware, and I saved the configuration from the working NanoStation M5. I then uploaded that configuration to the NS Loco M5.

I can connect to the Loco, but cannot get communication from the wireless to the wired port. I have changed a ton of configuration settings on the Loco, but have never been able to get communication between the wired and wireless. It took a while to get the settings right on the original M5, but most of the issues there were turning off AirMax, and selecting appropriate frequencies and bandwith setting so that iOS would connect. Once I had those settings correct, I've had no problems with the M5. The Loco on the other hand, I have yet to get it working the same as the regular M5.

So... are you saying that I SHOULD be able to get the Loco to work the same as the regular M5?

Would uploading the configuration from my working M5 help?

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 4

It sounds like you have the bridge interfaces misconfigured on the Loco. If you can post a topology map, that shows how all the devices should be connected we can help you on the configuration.

Thank you for your reply. The strange thing is that it works perfectly with the "regular" NS M5.

The topology is extremely simple:

The CAT-5 cable connects from the LAN connection on the Loco's PSU to a fixed-IP digital audio console.

A wireless device (computer or iOS device) connects wirelessly to the Loco. The wireless device gets it's IP from the DHCP server in the Loco.

I have tried Router and SOHO Router mode, but it seems that many of the settings are assuming I'm connecting the CAT5 to the internet, which I'm not. It just connects to a fixed-IP hardware device.

I cannot get communication between the wireless and wired ports on the Loco.

I CAN get communication between the wireless and wired ports on the regular M5. Seems like having the 2nd port on the regular M5 helps because it doesn't assume that the wired port is only for internet as it seems to on the Loco. Just guessing here, but that's the only difference I can see between the 2 devices. The Loco has one wired port, the regular has 2.

Thank you for any help you can offer. It would be great to get this working!

[ Edited ]

Please post screen shots of the network tab of the loco. It sounds like your bridge interface settings are incorrect on the loco.

Also please upgrade the firmare on the loco to the latest version for that device. Firmware for the M2 Loco can be found at: https://www.ui.com/download/airmax-m/nanostationm/locom2

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 12.39.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-19 at 12.40.22 PM.png

[ Edited ]

Ok, on the network tab, you want to be in bridge mode. Set a static ip.

On, the wireless tab, make sure "WDS (Transparent Bridge Mode):" is unchecked (off).

On the "UBNT" tab (all the way on the top left, a picture of some cones around an pole) make sure "airMAX" is unchecked (off).

After you make those changes can i get screen shots of the wireless and network tabs.

Thank you for your reply.

This doesn't work because now there's no DHCP on the wireless side.

Here's the pics:

[NanoStation Loco M5] - 01 AirMax.JPG[NanoStation Loco M5] - 03 Wireless.JPG[NanoStation Loco M5] - 04 Network.JPG

For reference, here are the settings on the regular M5 that work just perfectly:

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 3.02.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-19 at 3.03.26 PM.png

Ok, I see. I misunderstood. I I thought you had standalone router on the network.

Ok on your original config. I think you just need to uncheck the "NAT" box on the network page

[ Edited ]

In router and SOHO router mode, do you know which interface the Loco thinks is the WAN? and which is the LAN?

I've never used the simple configuration mode before, in advanced configuration mode, you can define which interface is for what, but I think thats more complicated than necessary for this application.

Also how do you access the audio console?

If your entering the audio console's IP address in a web browser Router mode can work. If you are relying on some kind of automatic discovery process to automatically find the console you will probably have to use Bridge mode. I dont think the kind of multicast packets that would allow for automatic discovery would pass through a router.

If you have an extra rouer laying around, the easiest thing will be to hook up your audio console and the nanostaion to the routers lan, ports and then set you nanostaion to bridge mode. That way your router can provide DHCP.

Please note that I have 2 devices. A "regular" NanoStation M5 which works perfectly, and a NanoStation "Loco" M5 with which I'm having the issue.

Please note which screenshots are which (you can see the "Loco" at the top of the screenshot)

When I set my LOCO settings to the same as the settings on my REGULAR M5, they do not work on the Loco. Note that both the Loco and Regular have "NAT" enabled. I can try turning that off, but not sure why it would be ok on the regular but not the Loco...

@User789876 wrote:
Ok, I see. I misunderstood. I I thought you had standalone router on the network.

Ok on your original config. I think you just need to uncheck the "NAT" box on the network page

[ Edited ]

@User789876 wrote:

In router and SOHO router mode, do you know which interface the Loco thinks is the WAN? and which is the LAN?

I've never used the simple configuration mode before, in advanced configuration mode, you can define which interface is for what, but I think thats more complicated than necessary for this application.

Also how do you access the audio console?

If your entering the audio console's IP address in a web browser Router mode can work. If you are relying on some kind of automatic discovery process to automatically find the console you will probably have to use Bridge mode. I dont think the kind of multicast packets that would allow for automatic discovery would pass through a router.

If you have an extra rouer laying around, the easiest thing will be to hook up your audio console and the nanostaion to the routers lan, ports and then set you nanostaion to bridge mode. That way your router can provide DHCP.

You're losing me a little here. I assume the screenshots are not showing you the information you need?

I don't know what interface is what. It "just works" on the regular M5. Let me know how to find out what you're asking.

The control software looks for the console at a specific IP address. That's why the wired connection to the console needs to stay static.

Does the attached Diagram match what you are trying to do?

@User789876 wrote:

Does the attached Diagram match what you are trying to do?

Not quite. It's much simpler than that.

Audio Console:

Static IP: 192.168.1.70

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.6

Loco M5:

Wired:

Static IP: 192.168.1.6 (admin address)

Wireless:

DHCP Server (Range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254)

Static IP: 192.168.1.6 (admin address)

Accessing Audio console from wireless device:

Open web browser and type 192.168.1.70

Hoping this is resolvable before I run out of time to return the Loco. It's too bad, I really thought this would work!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2180
Solutions: 335

@UBNT-JoshMcGee can you please take a look at this one?

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
@UBNT-JoshMcGeecan you please take a look at this one?

Thank you!

Established Member
Kudos: 568
Solutions: 150

Can you post the config file of your working NSM5?

The screenshot of the network tab you have posted from the working NSM5 shows router mode but further down (different post) both wan and lan are in the same subnet.
The only way I can see it work, is bridge mode with a modified config file to enable dhcp on br0

Something like:

dhcpd.1.devname=br0
dhcpd.1.dns.1.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dns.2.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.end=192.168.1.254
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.netmask=255.255.255.0
dhcpd.1.start=192.168.1.100
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled