Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 78

Re: Can the NanoStation Loco M5 be made to work similarly to the NanoStation M5

Let's forget about the fact that you have one working station and one with identical configuration not working. They are different units and it's confusing to refer back and forth between them.

Reset the unit and start from scratch by applying the bare minimum necessary changes, then adjust more things that you want or need for advanced purposes until something breaks it.

The diagram is very confusing. Is there a router leasing DHCP addresses on your network? If yes, put the station in bridge mode receiving DHCP and use the router's dhcp client table to locate the devices. If not, do you need to lease DHCP? You can use Router mode for this but avoid it if you already have an active router on the network.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply. It's confusing because I have posted screenshots of both the working NON-LOCO M5 and the non-working LOCO M5. (Look at the top left corner of the screenshot to see which is which) I have attached the working NON-LOCO setup. I'm hoping to match it with the LOCO.

-Andy.

@SDA wrote:

Can you post the config file of your working NSM5?

The screenshot of the network tab you have posted from the working NSM5 shows router mode but further down (different post) both wan and lan are in the same subnet.
The only way I can see it work, is bridge mode with a modified config file to enable dhcp on br0

Something like:

dhcpd.1.devname=br0
dhcpd.1.dns.1.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dns.2.status=disabled
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.end=192.168.1.254
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.netmask=255.255.255.0
dhcpd.1.start=192.168.1.100
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled

3 times now I have replied only to find my reply has been deleted. Very frustrating, but I'll try once again.

There is no router on the "network" other than the Loco M5.

I have tried doing simple changes for several days now and still cannot make this work. Can you tell me if it's even possible? The setup is extremely simple.

There is a fixed-IP device (a digital mixing console) connected to the LAN connection on the Loco's PSU. The IP of the console is 192.168.1.70.

The Loco is connected to the POE connection of the PSU.

I want to connect to the mixing console via wireless devices (iPads, computers, etc.) which will be given an IP by the DHCP server in the Loco. These wireless devices need to connect to the digital mixing console.

That's it!

There's no problem with the "regular" M5 doing this, and I guess it's because of the "extra" CAT-5 connection on the M5, but I don't know. They run the same firmware and software, the Loco just has one less CAT-5 connector.

If you can tell me whether or not this configuration is possible, and if it is, how to configure it, I would be very grateful!

-Andy.

@UBNT-JoshMcGee wrote:
Let's forget about the fact that you have one working station and one with identical configuration not working. They are different units and it's confusing to refer back and forth between them.

Reset the unit and start from scratch by applying the bare minimum necessary changes, then adjust more things that you want or need for advanced purposes until something breaks it.

The diagram is very confusing. Is there a router leasing DHCP addresses on your network? If yes, put the station in bridge mode receiving DHCP and use the router's dhcp client table to locate the devices. If not, do you need to lease DHCP? You can use Router mode for this but avoid it if you already have an active router on the network.

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, it's possible and it should work fine already. You do not want to upload a configuration file from a different device with a different board.

In your previous screenshots, your LAN0 shows unplugged. Can you understand why that is?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

I didn't have it plugged in when I did the screenshot.

I'm very happy to hear that it should be possible with the Loco. Could you give me instructions or even better a config file that I can upload that should make it work the way I'm hoping?

@UBNT-JoshMcGee wrote:
Yes, it's possible and it should work fine already. You do not want to upload a configuration file from a different device with a different board.

In your previous screenshots, your LAN0 shows unplugged. Can you understand why that is?

Ubiquiti Employee

The network needs some troubleshooting. Grab a laptop and run some pings and traceroutes over the wireless to see where your connection is failing.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

I apologize in advance if this is way off the mark, it’s 3am and I am lurking the forums instead of sleeping.

The problem seems very obvious to me, your loco is a “router” and yet both networks it’s connecting are the same. This typically cannot happen.

the easy fix is to move your LAN ip  from 192.168.1.6 to something like 192.168.10.6.

change the dhcp scope to match and you should be up and running. That is how the nanostation you linked is setup as well.

p.s.  I almost didn’t post this since it seems so obvious so don’t roast me to hard if you were aware of all that already, I just skimmed most of the post.

Ubiquiti Employee

I don't see 2 networks in the setup here. The old station was configured in 192.168.1.0/24 as gateway at 192.168.1.5 handing out 192.168.1.11-99/24. The new one is identical except at 192.168.1.6.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

On the screenshot at Post #7

We see his Loco setup with a DHCP WAN Fallback IP of: 192.168.1.6/24

We also see his "LAN/WIRELESS" IP setup as: 192.168.1.6/24

These are 2 Networks, you cannot have this (to my knowledge) and have anything work, especially nat. Infact, when trying to communicate with the other device, the wifi client won't even attempt to send it to the router (not to be confused with the bridge, even though they are the same device) because it believes its on the same L2 domain.

I believe if he changes either his LAN or WAN scopes to be different from each other, his problems will be resolved.

If you look at POst #10

His original NS configuration correctly had different IP scopes on each interface,  causing his wireless device to send the traffic to the "router" and therefore be nat'd over to talk to the device on the other side.

Alternatively, he could switch to a bridged network and simply configure his wireless devices statically. However it I believe another poster mentioned that and OP deemed it not sufficient for his needs.

Ubiquiti Employee

Ah, I see what you're getting at. He has his static configuration as a DHCP fallback IP, with no DHCP server.

@Meestor_X you probably mean to be using a static address instead, with the correct network configuration. Then your DHCP server settings should hand out your nanostation as the gateway.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

Thank you both. I will give this a try later and let you know.

My guess now as to the reason it worked on the regular M5 is that the regular M5 has 3 connections: WAN, LAN and WLAN. I don't use the WAN functionality because I'm not connecting to the internet.

The LOCO has just 2, and the LAN or WLAN is getting configured as a WAN, rather than part of the LAN.

If I were just using a consumer "off-the-shelf" router (as I have for many many years before getting the NanoStation), I never would connect the WAN connection on the router. I would just use it's Wireless to Wired functionality, which is what I'm trying to emulate with the Loco, and it's not cooperating!

Just a guess, I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to all this stuff, so thank you for your help. It's much appreciated!

Established Member
Kudos: 567
Solutions: 150

@Meestor_X

The M5 has been working for you because in soho router mode the defaults are:

LAN0 is used for WAN

LAN1 and WLAN are bridged (BR0)

DHCP is on BR0
If you change the network settings from the working NSM5 from simple mode to advanced you will see this.

So, if you use LAN0 (main port)  as your "input" the radio works as a SOHO router,

if you use LAN1 (secondary port) the radio act as it is in bridge mode (LAN1+WLAN) with DHCP.

From what I understand, you have been using it's secondary port and has been working.

The NSM5 Loco has only one lan port - so in SOHO router mode it won't work.
The only way to get it to work as you want, is to change modes from router to bridge.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have DHCP in bridge mode via its UI.
A way to get around this is to activate DHCP by modifying the configuration file.

In my first post I briefly explained this.

Setup the NSM5 Loco in bridge mode as you have done previously (upper post)
Download it's configuration file.
Delete all lines in regards to "dhcpd"
Add these in place:
dhcpd.1.devname=br0
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled

Save the file, and re-upload it.

PS - Edit the post you made with your configuration file and change the password you are using.
Got me in trouble for not noticing it when I uploaded the modified file.

[ Edited ]

You Sir, are a genius!

I did what you said, and low and behold, it works, just as you said it would. Awesome.

There was no way I could have figured this out on my own. Certainly the user manuals and help information on this site would never have led me to this solution. That's what I love about active forums that have professionals lurking about. Only someone as knowledgable as you are about the internal workings of the NanoStation Loco could have figured this out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Only 1 question:

If I make any changes now using the web UI configuration, will it wipe out this setting so that I'll have to continue to make this manual change to the configuation file?

-Andy.

@SDA wrote:

@Meestor_X

The M5 has been working for you because in soho router mode the defaults are:

LAN0 is used for WAN

LAN1 and WLAN are bridged (BR0)

DHCP is on BR0
If you change the network settings from the working NSM5 from simple mode to advanced you will see this.

So, if you use LAN0 (main port)  as your "input" the radio works as a SOHO router,

if you use LAN1 (secondary port) the radio act as it is in bridge mode (LAN1+WLAN) with DHCP.

From what I understand, you have been using it's secondary port and has been working.

The NSM5 Loco has only one lan port - so in SOHO router mode it won't work.
The only way to get it to work as you want, is to change modes from router to bridge.
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to have DHCP in bridge mode via its UI.
A way to get around this is to activate DHCP by modifying the configuration file.

In my first post I briefly explained this.

Setup the NSM5 Loco in bridge mode as you have done previously (upper post)
Download it's configuration file.
Delete all lines in regards to "dhcpd"
Add these in place:
dhcpd.1.devname=br0
dhcpd.1.dnsproxy=enabled
dhcpd.1.lease_time=600
dhcpd.1.status=enabled
dhcpd.status=enabled

Save the file, and re-upload it.

PS - Edit the post you made with your configuration file and change the password you are using.
Got me in trouble for not noticing it when I uploaded the modified file.

Oh, don't worry about the password. I've changed it. Man Happy
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 567
Solutions: 150

Great.
Good to see you've sorted it out.

It should keep those settings unless you make changes within the network tab.
Example, switching modes from bridge to router. In this case your changes will be lost.
Sent you a PM

Cheers