Veteran Member
Kudos: 5285
Solutions: 78

Discovery Tool - Lacking VLAN Information

It was just brought to my attention this morning that if you have a management VLAN enabled on a radio the Discovery Tool is worthless, because it will show you what IP the radio is using for management, but fails to tell you what VLAN that IP is on... so you're left guessing.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

Re: Discovery Tool - Lacking VLAN Information

I believe this has been how the tool has operated for a long time. You should have a record of which management VLAN is in use on the network.
Veteran Member

Understood, I’ve never run into a situation like this before. I guess I was making the suggestion that perhaps the land information should be included in the discovery information.
Established Member
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 27

The discovery tool is executed on a computer/device. The device is connected on the network. The connection it uses will adhere to whichever VLAN the device is connected to. If the tool and the device was able to go beyond the confines of the VLAN, I'd say that there is a real problem in the network.

If you wish to have the device and discovery operate across the VLAN's you'd have to have multiple NIC's with the device connected to each one of the VLAN's. It's not the fault of the discovery/device, it's how VLAN's are intended to segregate traffic.
MCSE, MCSD, pAA, dCAP, SONUS, ECE
CCNA, CCNAW, CCNARS, CCNP, CCNPDC, CCIESP
Megaphat Networks, Long Island, New York, USA
Veteran Member

There was a CAT5 cable connected between the laptop and the radio. Radio wasn't connected to anything. This is now making me wonder if there is VLAN leaking happening somewhere..... I need to do some testing.
Established Member
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 27

I'm a bit confused. You used the discovery tool to find other UBNT devices on the hard-wired network while conneted directly to your laptop and you are concerned about VLAN's? Strange how that thought came across about seeing deices across VLAN's.
MCSE, MCSD, pAA, dCAP, SONUS, ECE
CCNA, CCNAW, CCNARS, CCNP, CCNPDC, CCIESP
Megaphat Networks, Long Island, New York, USA
Veteran Member

Device had a management VLAN... powered it on... plugged into laptop ... used discovery tool to find out what IP it had.... got IP, but had to manually enter VLAN into laptop to talk to it.

I don't understand your statement.