Extending Home Network to Remote Garage Via PowerBeam

I'm looking to extend my network access down to my shop/garage that's about ~100 feet away from the house. Sadly running eth or fiber isn't an option since I have a driveway that crosses that part of the property and I can't easily go through and trench it. 

While looking for a wireless solution, the PowerBeam line seems to fit the bill. My only concerns are with RF interference (I have overhead powerlines running over the property with pylons on adjacent neighbors land) and with the dishes being able to stand up to the elements. I understand that these dishes are manufactured with UV resistant material, but some of the models I see do not ship with Radomes and others just don't have Radomes available as an option. Are they necessary? 

Thanks!

Kudos: 4544
Solutions: 1183

Re: Extending Home Network to Remote Garage Via PowerBeam

Hello @rasato,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have anny pictures of the area?
Any google maps pictures?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

This is a simple look at the property. Bascially, the blue home indicator is near the side of the home that I plan on mounting the dish. The white building's south west face is where I plan on mounting the other dish. The three lines you see going over the screenshot portion of the property are three sets of aerial power lines that run over the property. I'm concerned about the EM field causing some RFI. I have a direct line of site between where the two dishes will be facing one another.Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 12.56.43 PM.png

Kudos: 4544
Solutions: 1183

Hello @UBNT-JaM,

Could you move this to AirMAX?

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 303
Solutions: 87

The PowerBeam is entirely too much radio for 100ft. Grab NanoStation 5AC or the Loco model (and extra POE injectors) for the point to point bridge.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

[ Edited ]

The reason I was looking for the PowerBean is to overpower any RF noise that I might be encountering. No one has mentioned anything in regards to this concern. Same as my other concern about being able to brave the elements without a Radome.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 303
Solutions: 87

You can use the powerbeam if you wish, but it's unnecessary. Also a radome is optional.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!