Accepted Solution

Farm Setup Issues

Ok.  I am a farmer and not savvy in this arena Smiley LOL

I am attempting to set up a Rocket M5 connected to an AirMAX Omni to send the signal to 3 NanoStation AC loco units.  I have followed the instructions as best I can but I am not able to get them talking.  The Nano sees the Rockets signal but can not connect.  I assume that when I hit select on the SSID of the nano that I should be able to choose my network (in this case SME) and connect.   Any advice?_Soul_Miners_AirHub__-_Wireless.pngIMG_1856.PNGIMG_1857.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 5

Re: Farm Setup Issues

Yeah, you need a router / firewall to bridge between the modem and the AP.

I think you might be able to use the prism as a router, but maybe only if you can set your modem to pass the public IP through to it? I've never run a Ubiquiti AP as a router before, so take this with a grain of salt.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

if I read this right, you're trying to connect AirMax AC stations to a M AP? That won't work. You need an AC unit to act as an AP, for AC stations. M units can only talk to AC units if they are in AP mode.

Hope that is clear, and not too confusing.

Argghhh.  Thank you.  I purchased what was recommended by BH Photo.  Guess I should have checked here first!

Can you please look at what I have now and guide me to purchase what is best?

I have ....

ONE  - Rocket M5 & AirMAX Omni 2x2 Dual 5G13
THREE - NanoStation AC loco 5 GHz

As I understand I need to return the Rocket and Omni.  I THINK I need to purchase a  Rocket® Prism AC (RP‑5AC‑Gen2).  What Antenna should I purchase?  

My setup is fairly simple.  On the attached image X is where the internet (Spectrum Cable) is located.  It gives us a very fortunate line of site to the three locations. Building A and Building B are 630 feet away and the Greenhouse is 450 feet away.  I have a Linksys Velop in Building A and it gives the full signal at X and 25% to the Greenhouse.  I am very hopeful that a Ubiquiti system would give us great results.  Thanks in advance!

Point_to_Point copy.jpg

Emerging Member

I think your selection and design is solid. I'm sure you'll be fine, given your results with the Linksys device. I'd highly recommend though mounting the AP and the CPE devices outside on the structures for best signal and reliablity. More than likely you will need to turn the TX power way down (I'd set it on auto with the AC units, M units don't have auto tx power control), since everything is so close with LOS.

You just need to swap out the Rocket M5 for a Rocket Prism 5AC. I would keep the same antenna, shouldn't be anything wrong with that choice.

Please report back your results here when you get this all setup, so others can learn from your experiences! (Plus I'd like to see how this turns out). 

Thank you so much!  I certainly will.

@swwifty   One thing that I realize is that we are paying for 300mbps internet.  I do not want the antenna to be a limiting factor on bandwidth.  If I purchase a  Rocket Prism 5AC GEN 2 could I connect it with 3 AC Antennas (AM-5AC22-45) or would I need a separate  Rocket Prism for each antenna?

Emerging Member

You should be able to get close to 300mbps of throughput with the Prism 5AC, if you have a pretty clean spectrum around you. You could run a 40mhz wide channel, which is the max you can do in a point to multipoint network (PTMP).

For those sector antennas that you shared, they need a prism for each sector. I wouldn't go that route. Assuming you do really have clear line of sight between all these locations and where the AP will be mounted, then I think an Omni antenna on the Prism will be just fine. 

Otherwise you will be spending a lot of money on this.

My PRISM AC-Gen2 5 GHz airMAX ac came in and I have been able to connect!!  Thanks!

I am one small step away from the internet I suppose.  My issue is connectivity and I guess configuration.  Off and on the Nano AC Loco gets internet but I have not been able to get it inside.  I am guessing that it realizes the PRISM has it but is not connecting.

I have attached an image with my configurations.  Basically, the Prism is connected directly to the modem.  Do I need a router on that end?  At the moment I am simply working to get ONE Nano operational before working on the other two.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Nanos.jpg
Emerging Member

Yeah, you need a router / firewall to bridge between the modem and the AP.

I think you might be able to use the prism as a router, but maybe only if you can set your modem to pass the public IP through to it? I've never run a Ubiquiti AP as a router before, so take this with a grain of salt.

@swwifty  Thank you so much!  I was able to get it up and running!!  During the day I am getting over 250Mbps download speeds.  It is an amazing solution.

Emerging Member

Great, glad to hear it! If you don't mind at some point, it would be useful to share your connection specs and signal stats, so others can see a real world example of this setup.

Absolutely!  Tell me what all is of interest.  See the attached screen from the Prism ACRocket_Prism_5AC_Gen2_-_Dashboard_-_airOS.jpg

Emerging Member

nice looks good! How are the clients at these locations connecting through the locos? do you have a local AP there for phones/laptops, etc?

You do have a slight chain imbalance, but that is probably due to using the omni on the prism (I would guess).

You also could probably lower the tx power, as your signal is a little on the hot side, as I would aim for around -55dbm signal strength.

Thanks!  We have a mesh network set up via Eero.  This location is our residence so you can imagine how many devices connect, Alexa, Sonos, Dish Network, Smart TVs, laptops, phones etc.  So far it has been a phenomenal solution.  

I will post back when I connect the other 2 buildings.  

Thanks for the pointers on the signal.

Emerging Member

I don't know much about the Eero system, but be sure to make sure that your inside the building APs aren't on the same channel/frequency as your ubiquiti PTMP setup, or you'll have really poor throughput from the interference.