Kudos: 21
Solutions: 4

Great RX but TX is poor

A couple of recent field surveys have brought back some strange results. I am using NSM2s and NBM2s to connect to my tower which has Rocket M2 paired with a 120 DEG sector.

I am getting good signals. Like -65 to -73 range. CCQ is also good. When I try to run a Speedtest, I am getting a good download. Like 10 Mbps (which is well enough for the 5 Mbps service I offer). However, my upload rate is horrible. Like 70 Kbps.

Now it doesn't do this all the time, just on certain links. I tried switching nanostations or nanobridges but that doesn't help.

Any ideas? If anybody needs any more info, just ask. I'll gladly provide it as I really needing to get this problem fixed!

Re: Great RX but TX is poor

Hello, I am with a similar problem. Look at the data of the post to see if it's the same subject. I hope we can quickly find the solution, I see that if it is raining speed is lower still. Best regards

ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33948
Kudos: 33
Solutions: 1

Noise hitting the tower. Exact same issues here with SR9, XR9 and the Xagyl 900MHz cards.

Something in band or out of band is interfering with your AP. It can transmit just fine but the noise is preventing the AP from hearing the clients. The clients can't hear the noise, so they don't have the same problem on download.
Kudos: 70

Thank you Oldman!! You just tipped me off to the root cause of an issue I've been puzzling over for quite a while. I've got two access points on the same tower. I thought I had them separated enough, but apparently they were interferring with each other. Made some frequency changes and now everything is beautiful. Thanks!

(not sure why I didn't think of it myself, but that's ok. We all gotta learn somehow...)
Kudos: 33

Glad I could help.
The real problem is when the noise is not yours to control. You've got to dance around an invisible problem. Keeps us on our toes I guess.
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 4

Yes Oldman, thank you for the advice. Now can you tell if another AP is the problem? For example, when I do a Site Survey within the Air OS on one of my Rockets, one of my other Rockets show as a signal of -38 dBm. Is that high of a signal alone an indication my AP's are seeing each other to hot?

We may be switching to GPS when we can get them. That with adding shield kits, I hope to get the signal down. I have 3 5.8s up on that tower with shield kits and they give me no problems. I know they have a smaller fresnel, but with shielding the highest they see each other at is -58 dBm.

That and the terrain of course. Some of these customers are behind a hill. The kind of hill that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the trees! During the summer we hooked them up and they were ok. Then I noticed they got worse in the winter. But recently with all of the rain we been having (avg 5 days a week for a month), and with the trees filling up with sap, some of these connections are impossible. Live and learn.