How do I know why I can't connect?

I've tried changing the channel width,  to no avail, how do I understand why the Marina A and Marina B networks are unavailable for selection?  They recently upgraded their equipment and while it works with my laptop and phones directly, I'd like to have it work with the loco so their choice of 192.168.10.x doesn't conflict with my work network.  I have a tunnel I can route over to get to the office machines, but it doesn't influence my local traffic, so I can't get there from here :-(

All I have for info is:

loco.png

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3741
Solutions: 770
Contributions: 73

Re: How do I know why I can't connect?

I would suspect that they are running WPA2-Mixed mode (TKIP + AES).

TKIP has been depreciated by the Wifi Alliance and is no longer supported.  Perhaps try contacting the network operator and see if they can switch to WPA2-AES only.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Is there any diagnostic I can use on the Nanostation to see this?  Or any android app that will show me what they are using/expecting?  All of my cellphones connect and my Macbook, so they are supporting it.

Kudos: 1

In Windows 10:

* Network and Sharing Center

* Change Adapter Settings

* Double click WiFi

* Wireless Properties

* Security Tab

Security type and encryption type are displayed there.

Sorry, don't know how you do this on Mac or Android.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3741
Solutions: 770
Contributions: 73

If you have an Android phone, you could use our Wifi Site Survey app WifiMAN.

On OSX I'm a bit rusty, but I think you should be able to access the Site Survey utility by clicking on the Wifi icon and opening Wifi Diagnostics.

WPA2-TKIP uses the same underlying mechanism as WEP.  This means that networks secured with TKIP are not really secure.  In addition to that, TKIP is not hardware accelerated, so you will also see reduced performance vs AES only networks.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

[ Edited ]

WifiMan does not cover TKIP/AES

This is all I'm getting from it:

Manufacturere: Winstars

Security: WPA2-PSK

Channel Width: 40MHz

Distance ~43m

I can setup a network with TKIP and it will not be available for use, so TKIP is probably the error that is causing the problem, would be nice if the software (Loco M2 and/or Wifiman) displayed the encryption scheme as well for better diagnostics.  The Loco knows the encryption scheme is not known, so it as the info, it's just not conveyed to the user.

Maybe the LOCO could go further and show WPA2/TKIP  or WPA2/AES so that when selecting a network you could self diagnose why it won't connect.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2085
Solutions: 323

Currently we are not looking to expand the functionality of airMAX M in this area.