Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Inconsistent CCQ Over 100m 2.4Ghz Link

My friend and I share a internet connection from his apartment. As I am not allowed to install a proper line at my apartment building. So we agreed to share the cost of a connection and then we would just use a wireless link to get it to me. (As mounting a NanoStation with zipties to the gutter is much easier to get away with in my complex then mounting a dish to a wall.) Anyway, to clarify the setup we have. On my friend's side, we have a BULLET M2, directly screwed into a TP-Link Omni-antenna. (honestly can't remember exactly what dbi it is and the stickers on it have been mostly worn off. But it's about 1m tall and about 2-3cm thick?) On my side, connecting to the BULLET M2, I have a NanoStation M2. We have used this link for almost 5 years now with no issue. Except till mid of last year, when water got into our Omni-Antenna and it ruined our signal. But after cleaning that out, letting it dry and sealing it again properly, our signal was perfect again. Here is a picture of the link and the area it covers.

Link.JPG

Sadly, we do have to go directly through one of those trees, but luckily we are over the rest of them. But we have always had a signal in about -55 to -65.

Now, the reason that I am posting here, is because I came back after being away for the end of the year, and my connection seems to be quite unstable or rather bad. Even though our signal is still reported at about around -60. I did notice that my CCQ has degraded to about 50% on the NanoStation. But strangly, it reports in around the 90% on the Bullet's side. Does anyone know what this could be? I'll post screenshots bellow of both devices Main and Wireless tabs. I know the settings might not be ideal, but this was essentialy the best I could have gotten it to at least work for now. We both live in the CBD of our town, surrounded by a lot of other businesses. So could it possibly just be interference? 

Also, just speaking in general about our link. Would it be better to just get something more directional? Like a second NanoStation M2. Would that show any improvement that it a more directional antenna then instead of an Omni one? We originally setup the link as is because the bullet was one we got from a other friend, and the omni-antenna was something a client special ordered from our store but then realized he couldnt connect it up to his ISP provided ADSL modem. So would something directional make a differance? And what about 5Ghz? I know that 5Ghz doesn't like ANY obstructions in its line of sight. But it is just 100m. Could something like 2x NanoStation AC work over a link like this? 

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this and i'd really apreaciate the experts advice. Man Happy 

BM2MAIN.JPG
BM2WIRELESS.JPG
NSM2MAIN.JPG
NSM2WIRELESS.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 3

Re: Inconsistent CCQ Over 100m 2.4Ghz Link

[ Edited ]

What @UBNT-SNK said basically.

Get another Nanostation M2 on the other end, an omni makes no sense, even with this short of a link. Additional, the bullet doesn't support MIMO, and another Nanostation will so you can get more throughput and signal diversity that way.

More than likely it is interference, you can try changing frequencies, and also I'd recommend starting at the narrowest channel width and working your way up.

As you mentioned, 5ghz might work, but it could be a bit risky. It does seem you have a good noise floor, so I'd just stick with 2.4ghz nanostations for now, and put a nanostation at the other end.

Also, CCQ that is reported in AirOS is in reference to transmission to the other end (so it is specific to that station or AP). If you see a poor CCQ, then the interference is likely on that side (that being said, these devices are so close to each other, its entirely possible they are both seeing the same interference).

Oh, and lastly, get some RFarmor for these: https://www.rfarmor.com/nanostation-kits/unsk235-2p.html

Sorry for the random stream of conciousness there. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1878
Solutions: 285

This is probably the result of interference near to one end of the link. I'd recommend running an airView scan to see where that interference is likely to be, and also replacing your omni with something more directional such as another NanoStation M2.

[ Edited ]

What @UBNT-SNK said basically.

Get another Nanostation M2 on the other end, an omni makes no sense, even with this short of a link. Additional, the bullet doesn't support MIMO, and another Nanostation will so you can get more throughput and signal diversity that way.

More than likely it is interference, you can try changing frequencies, and also I'd recommend starting at the narrowest channel width and working your way up.

As you mentioned, 5ghz might work, but it could be a bit risky. It does seem you have a good noise floor, so I'd just stick with 2.4ghz nanostations for now, and put a nanostation at the other end.

Also, CCQ that is reported in AirOS is in reference to transmission to the other end (so it is specific to that station or AP). If you see a poor CCQ, then the interference is likely on that side (that being said, these devices are so close to each other, its entirely possible they are both seeing the same interference).

Oh, and lastly, get some RFarmor for these: https://www.rfarmor.com/nanostation-kits/unsk235-2p.html

Sorry for the random stream of conciousness there. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 119
Solutions: 29

It's probably due for an upgrade, so swapping up to some directional devices like nanobeams and 5ghz radios would likely serve you well. For short links with Line of Sight, i always recommend nbe-5ac-gen2.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Thank you for your reply! And sorry for my late response. I was waiting to get a proper airview from both side to share here first. I just want to try and see if I can help clarify my situation, so that I might help get to a clearer answer. Here is the airview from my NanoStation:

NSM2airview.JPG

When I did the airview last light I saw that 2472 seemed to be quieter, so I switched to that and I seem to be getting better throuput now, but my CCQ is still rather unstable. But i've actually been switching back and forth between 2442 and 2472 over the last week. Depending who seems to have the least traffic on it. And now, here is the airview from the Bullet:

BM2airview.jpg

On the Bullet M2, there seems to be quite a bit more traffic. But it could also just be that it uses an Omni-Antenna that is picking up things that are not even nearly in my direction. Also, I noticed a bit of traffic on this side on 2472 when I took the airview this morning. But I am assuming that could just be my NanoStation trying to contact the Bullet.

I hope this brings some clarity to our situation at least. As I would just like to be more sure if just getting another NanoStation should be enough to help correct our link. Or does it seem like there is too much traffic on 2.4Ghz and should rather look to upgrade to AC. And if so, could something like the LiteBeam AC Gen2 (LBE‑5AC‑Gen2) work for a link like this? 

Thank you very much for your time and advice, I greatly appreciate it. Man Happy

A nanostation on the other end will help for sure. Switching to 5ghz nanostations could help as well, but in my opinion, that's a bit more risky (that it might not work as well as 2.4ghz) if you have some obstructions.

The cheapest option seems to just get another Nanostation m2 (i'd highly recommend some RFarmor as well, that I mentioned above), and go from there.

Alright I will try that route then. So I'll get a second NanoStation and see what that does for us. Unfortunatly, with all the suppliers I could find in my country, the NanoStation RF Armour seems to all be End-of-Life. I can get some kits from the US store such as that you linked me. But then, the shipping ends up being more then the items themselves. So for now I'll just try the NanoStation and hope for the best. Thanks for all your help and advice. Man Happy