Install AirGateway as bridge

Hello everyone,

I am trying to configure an AirGateway AG-PRO-INS as a client bridge in this setup:

Laptop

|

wire connection

|

AirGateway

|

wireless connection

|

CBE

|

Internet

I'm following some useful guides on this forum and on the web, for example https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airOS-Software-Configuration/Guide-to-setup-Ubiquiti-airGateway-as-bri... .

The firmware installed in the AirGateway is AirGWP.v1.1.10 build 32010

My procedure to setup the AirGateway is:

1. Power the AirGateway through USB
  2. Wireless connect to airGateway:[alphanumeric]
  3. Insert ubnt as username and password, choose my state, accept the agreement and press Login
  4. Since the line disconnects, reconnect to it. The LED on Airgateway switches from blue to white
  5. Insert ubnt as name and password and press Login
  6. A page with only the tabs "MAIN" and "SYSTEM" are shown. I open "SYSTEM" tab, and in the section "airCRM Business Operations Platform" click Disable... button for Provisioning Mode:. In the pop-up that appears, I confirm with "Yes, continue!" and wait until procedure is finished
  7. Wireless connection is disabled. I connect via wire and insert ubnt as username and password, and click Login
  8. In the "WIRELESS" tab I select Advanced for Configuration Mode
  9. Select Station for Wireless Mode
  10. I manually insert the SSID, since the Select function is not able to find any connection
  11. As Security I select WPA2-AES
  12. for WPA Authentication I select EAP - EAP-TTLS - MSCHAPV2
  13. I leave WPA Anonymous Identity empty, use the SSID as WPA User Name and the correct password as WPA User Password
  14. Click Change
  15. In the "NETWORK" tab I select Bridge as Netowork mode
  16. I set Management IP Address on Static
  17. IP Address: 192.168.20.16, Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway IP: 192.168.20.1
  18. Click Change and then click Apply. After a while, LED on Airgateway becomes blue
  19. I change my IP to 192.168.20.100 and plug out - plug in the ethernet cable

After these steps I'm able to access the AirGateway config page on 192.168.20.16 or to connect through SSH, anyway the AirGateway is not connected to the CBE.

I've noticed that in the Config page, in the "MAIN" tab, the Channel/Frequency fields changes each seconds, showing different channels and frequencies.

It looks like is not able to find ANY frequency, and it seems that the problem may be noticed already in step 10 (the wireless connection to the remote SSID is not established). How we can check this connection (CLI or GUI)? On the remote router we can't see the device.

Does someone know how to solve this problem? Attached you can find printscreens of MAIN, WIRELESS and NETWORK tabs

WirelessTab.JPGNetworkTab.JPGMainTab.JPG

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3867
Solutions: 793
Contributions: 73

Re: Install AirGateway as bridge

It is normal for the AGW to scan different frequencies when an AP isn't connected.  

Perhaps you could share a screenshot of the APs wireless configuration and provide and let me know how far away the AP is?

If you need further assistance, please contact support via help.ubnt.com

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

thank you @UBNT-James .

The AP is 2 meters far away, but there are around 50-60 WLan. I was also able to test at the same distance but with far less WLan, with the same results.

I share the configuration of the AP (if can add any information missing):NetworkBasicSettings.JPGWlanSettings24.JPGWlanSettings5.JPGWlanTransmissionSetup.JPG

Ubiquiti Employee

In the AGW web interface under Tools -> Site Survey, do you see the network local_1_24?

For WPA can you confirm that the AP is in fact set to use WPA EAP and not PSK (preshared key)?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1003
Solutions: 230

@UBNT-James may be correct.
Seems your ISP router is using WPA2-AES with PSK but your AGW is configured with WPA2-AES and EAP.
===================================================
We all work for KUDOs here.
Thx

When I run "Site Survey" I can't see "local_1_24". Actually the list shown by "Site Survey" is empty, even if there are several WLAN active; the search usually stop after less than a second.

The AP was indeed set to use a PSK; I've run again the procedure with the PSK, but the outcome is the same.

May this problem be related to the Country Code (Switzerland)?

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

If AGW doesn't recognize any AP on sitesurvey, it won't connect.

Can you try a different channel on your router?
1, 6 or 11

Also try to relocate the AGW with more distance to the router.

additionally check your USB power source for AGW. sitesurvey needs more power than idle. some guys had issues in the past with AGW-PRO-INS and their USB power supplies.

Laptops USB may not be sufficient enough for AGW.

try a smartphone USB charger with > 1A or better 2A rating.

Thx

[ Edited ]

I've tried with channel 1,6 and 11, and it's still not working.

After setting the channel in the AP, I've waited until the loop in the AGW interface scanned at least a couple of time the expected channel/frequency:
1, 2412 MHz
6, 2437 MHz
11, 2462 MHz

I've also tried different USB power sources (5VDC, 2.0A / 2.4A) with different USB cables, but "Site Survey..." still yield no results.

@UBNT-JamesIs this the correct setup? may it be a DoA?

AWG_Setup.jpg

Veteran Member

i would reset it to factory defaults and afterwards do a sitesurvey first.
than fill in your custom settings.
Thx
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

After the factory reset, the "Site Survey" takes 2-3 seconds to end (usually it takes less then 1 second), but it still gives no results.

I've executed the factory reset both by pressing for 10 second the dedicated button on the device and by the web GUI.

I've just received a second device (I thought the first one may be a DoA) but also with this "Site Survey" shows nothing, both before and after the configuration.

Is there a test that I can perform between the two?

Ubiquiti Employee

Site Survey can take a bit longer on these units as they scan 2.4 and 5GHz.  If you still are not seeing results after a couple of attempts, please download the Support Info file from the unit and forward to james@ubnt.com and I will take a closer look.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png