Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

LiteBeam AC Gen 2 (LBE‑5AC‑Gen2) Firmware Upgrade Failed

I've just upgraded all my LBE‑5AC‑Gen2 to firmware 8.5.0 and 9 of the 10 are working as expected. The last one doesn't seem to be happy anymore. It's powered via an ES‑48‑500W. On boot, I see the switchport led turn on yellow, flash 2 or 3 times and then turns off for 4 or 5 seconds before cycling through the same pattern again. I tried powering from a POE injector and that doesn't seem to help. Reset using the button on the POE injector doesn't seem to have any effect. The LBE-5AC-Gen2 is on top of the corrigated sheet building approximately 30' above ground. I don't have ready access to the unit and would need to rent a lift to gain access.

Is this a failed unit? What are my options to try and recover before I rent the gear to install a replacement? 

Thanks!

- Peter

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 3915
Solutions: 357

Re: LiteBeam AC Gen 2 (LBE‑5AC‑Gen2) Firmware Upgrade Failed

[ Edited ]

Peter,

Is the LBE discoverable when wired into the POE injector? Can you ping 192.168.1.20 if you connect with a static IP within your laptop?

I would suggest powering off the unit, hold the reset button on the POE and plug in while holding the reset button as described here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911324-airMAX-How-to-reset-your-device-with-TFTP-firmware... and try and reload firmware if the unit is unresponsive.

@UBNT-James

Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Peter,

Is the LBE discoverable when wired into the POE injector? Can you ping 192.168.1.20 if you connect with a static IP within your laptop?

I would suggest powering off the unit, hold the reset button on the POE and plug in while holding the reset button as described here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911324-airMAX-How-to-reset-your-device-with-TFTP-firmware... and try and reload firmware if the unit is unresponsive.

@UBNT-James

Tony Pierro
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3748
Solutions: 773
Contributions: 73

@ashbylumber  

What firmware were you previously running on this unit?

Could you let me know how this unit was upgraded?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Reset via tftp is a wonderful thing, worked like a charm. Link is back and humming along with the 8.5 firmware. 

b-al-03 b-al-04 2018011901.png

It was running 8.4 and the update was triggered from UNMS 0.11.1. 

SuperUser

Great, thank you for reporting back. Glad you were able to recover the unit and get it back online!
Tony Pierro

I think I found the root cause for the upgrade failing. I installed 1.7.3 on EdgeSwitch powering the LiteBeam and was testing the new POE watchdog functionality on that port. When I pushed the new firmware from UNMS to the LiteBeam, the LiteBeam rebooted during the upgrade and the watchdog did it's duty and power cycled the port when the LiteBeam didn't respond to a ping. Power cycling during a firmware upgrade tends to do bad things. In hindsight, it was rather silly of me not to disable the watchdog before performing the upgrade. I got off rather easy...

SuperUser

Perfect. At least it's not a failing unit or firmware causing this issue.

PS - How has 8.5.0 been treating you vs 8.4.3 so far?
Tony Pierro

I'm running 8.5.0 on (2) LBE-5AC-23, (7) LBE-5AC-Gen2 and (1) LBE-5AC-16-120. I've haven't encountered any problems. Under 8.4.x I would sometimes see a unit rebooted because of some internal issue and be prompted to send Ubiquiti a error report. So far, that hasn't happened. The links are all up and stable. 

I just wanted to provide a word of warning - I have a site with 9x NanoBeam AC, 5 running on poe injectors and 4x running off an Edgeswitch. Edgeswitch had the POE Watchdog feature enabled. I had the exact same symptoms you describe - my NanoBeams on injectors all updated firmware fine, but the ones on the edgeswitch all dropped and never came back. As you describe, the link would come up for 4 seconds, then drop for 5-8 seconds, never booting fully. All 4 NanoBeams on the edgeswitch required new firmware via tftp ( https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204911324-airMAX-How-to-Reset-Your-Device-with-TFTP-Firmware... ), which unfortunately required a lift. 

All this to say - can the poe watchdog feature be modified to not brick APs that receive firmware updates? Longer timeout or something? I had to disable the feature entirely.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2098
Solutions: 324

@UBNT-Vlad what are your thoughts on this feature? Is there configuration to avoid this happening?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 206
Solutions: 19

Yes, we will probably add option to set timeout for watchdog to Edgeswitch firmware.

That would be incredible. The internal ping watchdog in the nanobeams isn't bullet proof; being able to rely on the switch to hard powercycle the APs is one of the main reasons I purchased the edgeswitch. 

LiteBeam AC Gen 2 (LBE‑5AC‑Gen2) Question

Can I use this product outside of United States?

Ubiquiti Employee

Re: LiteBeam AC Gen 2 (LBE‑5AC‑Gen2) Question

@mary_machado wrote:

Can I use this product outside of United States?

Yes, but we have North American/US and International versions.  If you are using outside of North America, you should be purchasing the International version.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Please send to me the link to purchase the international version.  Thanks for you quick response

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

You can find a local distributor HERE

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png