Loco m2 Station and Access Point

Hello,

I am new in the forum and in the loco m2. So forgive me if my quesiton is already ansered.

I am planing to send my internet connection from my first house to the second (200 meters).

My question is if I can use the second loco m2 to be station and access point simultaneously, for my devices (laptop,phone) to connect directly to the second loco m2.

router--->(cable) ---->loco m2--------->(bridge, 200 meters)---->loco m2--------->(wireless)laptop,phone..

Thank you in advance.

Established Member
Kudos: 401
Solutions: 60

Re: Loco m2 Station and Access Point

From Memory, it has 3 options:

1. Station
2. Access Point
3. Repeater (or something like that)

I have not tried it, so cannot confirm, but I think the 3rd option is to receive from the remote Loco M2, and then redistribute as an AP signal. It might not be the best option though.

If all you want is a wifi signal inside the second building, how about the AirGateway which connects into the PoE adapater to give a wifi signal?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Hello,

you can use the unit on the second house as AP and unit on first (the one with router) house as Station.

But you could seriously decrease throughput if you will have worse signal strenght on your client device. Also there matter the material of roof, If you have metal roof, forget it completely.

In some scenarios you will get better signal from next house than from rooftop on the same house in where you are.

Best regards,

Jan

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

BUT: way better performance you will get, if you establish one more AP inhouse and connect the unit on roof with cable. It will be 4x and more faster than solution you have in mind.

I agree with vanikcz, add a wireless router in house 2.

router--->(cable) --->loco m2----->(bridge, 200 meters)--->loco m2---->(cable)(wireless router)---->laptop,phone.

Any of these low cost wireless routers (or similiar) TP-Link TL-WR841 ($30) or TP-Link TL-WR841HP ($55) or TL-WA801ND ($40) will do the trick.  The HP model will provide good coverage through several walls.

I have a similar setup but with Rocket M5 in house1 and loco M5 in house2 (& house3)

House1 RocketM5

- airMAX enabled

- Wireless - Access Point WDS enabled 40Mhz channel width 

- Network Bridge Static IP

House2 & House3 loco M5

- Wireless - Station, WDS enabled, Auto 20/40Mhz channel width, Lock to AP (House1 MAC)

- Network Bridge Static IP

- cabled to TP-Link TL-WR841HP DHCP server

So far so good

Hello,
I guess I will try to switch the ap with the station and if I can't get it to work I will just buy a cheap wireless router as you suggested (I think I have and old one too). Thank you very much for your suggestions.