Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Accepted Solution

NanoStation 5AC PTP Router - no default Route option

Trying to do a smple PtP setup with 2 NanoStation 5ACs in Router mode.  Cannot find a way to enter a default route.  AirOS 8 will not accept 0.0.0.0 as a valid network.

I am looking to do a routed link and have multiple vlans on the remote side.  I would prefer to do the vlans on the remote switch, not on the NanoStation.  I can add static routes but not a default route.  I was able to make this work with an advanced Bridge mode setup but the speed is much slower.

Can anyone help with how to configure a default route?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2188
Solutions: 335

Re: NanoStation 5AC PTP Router - no default Route option

I would recommend doing this in bridge mode. When you say bridge mode is slower, what do you mean?

View solution in original post

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 315
Solutions: 92

Echoing the prior comment, bridge mode should not be slower so I'm curious what issue you've experienced.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 839
Solutions: 201

I guess I'm not following what you are trying to do.

Multiple vlans should be handled by router/switch on each end of the Ptp link.

Link in bridge mode will pass them just like a cable between endpoints.

I may be overlooking what you are trying to accomplish.

Brief Summary:

Need to establish connectivity between a main location and a remote location using 2 Nanostation 5ACs. 

Each location has multiple VLANs.  I want to use a routed link because it will be much faster than a bridged link.  I have a bridged link working between the 2 locations doing what you suggested - sending vlan traffic (one untagged VLAN and other tagged vlans) across the bridged link and letting the local switches separate the respective VLAN traffic.  The bridged connection is slow and there would be a significant performance improvement if there was a routed link between the 2 locations.

I had the routed link configured but could not get it to work because there is no way to configure a default route in the remote side NanoStation.  Without the default route, there is no way to send all non-local traffic across the routed link.  A default route is also needed in the NanoStation at the Main location to direct internet traffic to the next hop router.

The NanoStation will not accept 0.0.0.0 as a valid destination network when configuring a static route.

I really just need to know how to configure a default static route in the NanoStation using AirOS 8.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this -

Ubiquiti Employee

I would recommend doing this in bridge mode. When you say bridge mode is slower, what do you mean?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 315
Solutions: 92

Echoing the prior comment, bridge mode should not be slower so I'm curious what issue you've experienced.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

After further testing, I found that setting up the Nanos to bridge the VLANs while having all of the VLAN configuration on the network switches provided good performance.  I adjusted the position of the Nanos to get the strongest signal possible between them.  This provided a great result.  

This was also a much simplier configuration.  Thanks for the feedback!

Ubiquiti Employee

Good to hear.