Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

NanoStation Loco M2 keeps crashing

I have created a bridge using two Loco M2s. One is on my upstairs back porch while the other is located in ground floor garage about 100 feet away.   When it works, it works very well. 

But one or the other keeps periodically crashing.  All the lights are on, but it stops broadcasting and I can't log into the unit unless I do a hard reboot (unplug then plug back in).  I do not know if this is a configuration issue (I've uploaded images of my configuration), or I just have a couple of bad units.  Any suggestions?

M2 Home Main Screen (blurred) 2018-11-05_0-54-06.jpg
M2 Home Network Screen (blurred) 2018-11-05_0-56-35.jpg
M2 Home Wireless Screen (blurred) 2018-11-05_0-55-27.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 134
Solutions: 44

Re: NanoStation Loco M2 keeps crashing

Look for these support pages;

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950584-airMAX-Using-airView-to-Find-the-Best-Channel

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009192828-airMAX-General-FAQ

Especialy to;

What is the best signal strength and noise floor?
  • You want your signal to always be between a -45 and -65 dBm.
  • Signals that are “too hot” -40dBm or greater can increase EVM and reduce performance.  These should be indicated in red on the APs Station List (AC)
  • The way to decide what signals you need is to look at the Signal to Noise Ratio, also known as SNR. For best performance, we recommend an SNR of at least 25 but preferably 30 or greater. So, if you have a noise floor of -90 dB, you will need to have at least a -65 signal.

To hot signal.jpg

The distance between both AP's is just 0.2 KM

So the the signal (Power) of  the AP's is to HOT. Lower it within the apropiate range.

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

View solution in original post

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2091
Solutions: 323

You are using an old software version. v6.1.8 is the latest.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3744
Solutions: 772
Contributions: 73

I would try changing the Data Rate Module on both radios from Default to Alternative (Wireless tab).

You don't have a lot of good options for channels, but I would still suggest staying on 10MHz.   Try something in the 2447/2457 range,

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

Are you able to access both units from the wired side when they are in this state? (Power but not connected)  If yes, please grab the Support Info file from both radios the next time you see this and forward to james@ubnt.com.

Could you show the Stations section from the AP radios Main tab (At the bottom under Monitor) and also the Station radios Main tab (entire tab)

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

When AP goes into this state, I can not reach it, or the station, from the AP side unless I unplug power then plug it back in. 

I do not recall if I could reach the station from the station side.  I do recall that I could not reach the AP from the station side.

When I look at logs, they only capture details from last startup.

Could the Channel that I am using (14) have anything to do with this?  I seem to recall reading a comment that there are certain channels you should use: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Please-help-NOOB/td-p/2282300

M2 Garage Main Screen (blurred) 2018-11-05_0-58-38.jpg
M2 Home (AP) Main Tab - Stations (blurred) 2018-11-07_10-13-23.jpg
Ubiquiti Employee

Does it come back up on that channel after you power cycle it? If so I wouldn't expect this to be a channel-related issue.

Yes, it comes back up on same channel on which it was set before crash.

Ubiquiti Employee

Then I don't think this is due to the channel it is using. What power supply are you using?

When the unit crashes, it still appears to be on, all the rear lights are on, but it stops broadcasting (bridge breaks) and I can not access it.

I noticed that the log rotates after each startup, deleting the previous log.  I can ssh into the device, so I was wondering if there was a way to configure it to retain the previous log or maintain copy of it elsewhere?  If the machine crashes again, this could be useful in determining why.

Ubiquiti Employee

Can you update the software?

It says I have the lastest firmware for Loco M2

Firmware Version:XW.v5.6.12
Build Number:30039

I installed a windows-based syslog server and enabled the remote log service on both M2s.  So now I have a way of maintaining previous logs -- at least up to point where unit crashes.

Established Member

I would lower the Output power, its max at the moment!

Change time setting (2016?) on the station for logging purposes.

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)

I set the dates on ap and station to current date and time.

What should I lower the Output power to?

Thanks!

Established Member

Look for these support pages;

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204950584-airMAX-Using-airView-to-Find-the-Best-Channel

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009192828-airMAX-General-FAQ

Especialy to;

What is the best signal strength and noise floor?
  • You want your signal to always be between a -45 and -65 dBm.
  • Signals that are “too hot” -40dBm or greater can increase EVM and reduce performance.  These should be indicated in red on the APs Station List (AC)
  • The way to decide what signals you need is to look at the Signal to Noise Ratio, also known as SNR. For best performance, we recommend an SNR of at least 25 but preferably 30 or greater. So, if you have a noise floor of -90 dB, you will need to have at least a -65 signal.

To hot signal.jpg

The distance between both AP's is just 0.2 KM

So the the signal (Power) of  the AP's is to HOT. Lower it within the apropiate range.

Cheers,

Mike

OK,

I dropped my Output Power on ap and station to 5 dBm.  That brought my signal strength to -46 dBm.  

Thank you very much for the guidance!  This might be why the stations were crashing.

Ubiquiti Employee

You are using an old software version. v6.1.8 is the latest.

When I click on "Check Now", I get:

You have latest available Firmware version.

Go to Ubiquiti Networks downloads page.

However, on Downloads page for AirMaxM Series->NanostationM->loco M2, I see the 6.1.8 update.

https://www.ubnt.com/download/airmax-m/nanostationm/locom2

I am assuming the board is XW since the current OS version is: Version:v5.6.12 (XW).  

Thank you.

Ubiquiti Employee

If your radio doesn't have valid DNS server or can't reach the Internet, it won't show new firmware available, but you can always download the latest firmware on download.ubnt.com.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, that would make it an XW board.

It's been a week and I've not had another crash.  The first crashes were on the first day I installed the units.  The next crash was a couple days later.  I think that reducing power output and installing latest firmware may have resolved the issue.  Thanks for all the help and advice!

Ubiquiti Employee

Glad this looks to have been resolved, let us know if it happens again.

It happened again.  The AP just stopped broadcasting, so all the connections on the other side of it, including  the AP itself, were unreacheable.  All the lights on the unit were on, and the LAN light was blinking, but It was unreachable via the IP address.  The only way to get it back into service was to unplug the power, then plug it back in.

However, this time, I noticed something in the logs:  I noticed that the date of the log entries had gone from November 22nd to September 21st.  When I thought about it, I remembered that I had unplugged the unit (actually, a few times) a couple days ago to change the ethernet connector.  Apparently, the date had changed back to September, and had stayed in September for the next 2 days until the crash tonight.

I am no networking expert, but I do recall something about incorrect dates causing local LAN  connections to fail. 

I did a little research and found this: "Another case is if your endpoint is required to authenticate with the network before being granted access. (RADIUS, 802.1x). If the time is off, the supplicant on your computer may not trust the certificate belonging to the authentication server, and refuse to connect."

So, perhaps my router refuses to connect to the unit after it has an incorrect date for so long?  I do not know if this is the problem or not, but it's the only suspect I can come up with right now.

Now, I had set the correct time in the OS using this format: date -s 2018.11.13-17:27.  But, apparently when the unit loses power it also loses the correct date.

I have changed my System tab and enabled the Startup date option hoping this will help.  Also enabled NTP.

Any other suggestions?

AP System (Startup Date Enabled) 2018-11-24_0-36-38.jpg
20181123_233458.jpg