Kudos: 1
Solutions: 6

Nanobeam Setup--Gateway

When using my NBE 5ACs as a WDS bridge from cable modem to router, what should the Gateway IP setting be?

The devices are outside the firewall of the router (WAN side) and thus can't access the LAN side of the router for a gateway.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2169
Solutions: 335

Re: Nanobeam Setup--Gateway

The IP address of your router.

Perhaps you missed a detail in the poset: The router is on the LAN and is NOT ACCESSIBLE to WAN-side devices because of firewall rules.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 270
Solutions: 73

Your post is very confusing. If the link is bridging the connection from modem -> router, then the radios should be in bridge mode with no need for any gateway address.

If the wireless link is bridging a connection to something else, then your router should be the gateway and it should be configured to pass necessary traffic through to the WAN past your firewall.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here otherwise. You have a firewall blocking WAN access, so you have a routing problem to solve regardless of your PTP link I think.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Thank you for the clarification. 

That is what I had assumed.  The setup is: modem <->NBE<->NBE<->router.  The NBEs are on the WAN side of the router.

That makes the Gateway/router setting in the NBEs irrelevant since it's an entirely L2 domain, I think.
Ubiquiti Employee

Then they should just be a WDS bridge with your router handling everything.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

This question arises from my curiosity about AirOS bridges and their interaction with EdgeOS (ERX) routers. I am using an ERX as the terminus of a bridged cable modem connection.

No matter what I do (disable firewall, disable NAT and define static route) I cannot reach the static IP of the NBE's management page by Ping or otherwise going upstream through eth0 on the ERX.

Yet, if I connect the NBE through a dumb L2 switch and then to eth0 I can readily reach the NBE using a laptop plugged into a spare port on the L2 switch. TCPDUMP, Wireshark, &c show no response from NBE to ICMP packets on eth0 (using ERX as host). Responses are normal on laptop.

Any idea why?
Ubiquiti Employee

I would consult with the edgemax community and show your configuration for some help dissecting your connectivity issues on the local LAN. Link the new thread, and I will be happy to join the discussion there so that all bases are covered with respect to the airMax devices at the same time.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

I doot know how to do a you suggest: "I would consult with the edgemax community and show your configuration for some help dissecting your connectivity issues on the local LAN. Link the new thread, and I will be happy to join the discussion ..."

But I am able to add the config of the ERX (attached).  Share it freely and maybe an answer will emerge!

Thanks for your attention.

Ubiquiti Employee

You want the attention of the edgeMax user community. Please post your thread there and link it. They will not find your question here.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Highlighted

I submitted "Referred by Ubiquiti employee" in Edgemax->Edgerouter