Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Nanobeam m5-16 line of sight passes through a person working as a cashier.

Today I came upon a site where a previous installer had setup a line of sight connection between two Nanobeam m5-16s. One was inside a store, under the cash register, pointing at a signpole outside the store, passing through the cashier's waist and the front window of the store.

I personally would not set something up like that on the outside chance that the radio signal could cause injury over the long term for those employees.

Is there any recommendations from Ubiquiti or the community regarding a setup like this from a health and safety standpoint?

Thanks,

Rick

SuperUser
Kudos: 3686
Solutions: 307

Re: Nanobeam m5-16 line of sight passes through a person working as a cashier.

Rick,

I never recommend passing any amount of high frequency RF energy through a person, especially for long amounts of time with gain antennas. This has been argued heavily, and although it may not cause permanent damage, don't let it become a discussion and get it moved if you can. The local (under the counter) radio is the one that's going to cause damage (if any) because of it's density at short range if it is pointed directly at the cashier.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10093
Solutions: 1563

Relocate the radio.

Cluster of testicular cancer in police officers exposed to hand-held radar.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8213849

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Please keep any relevant responses coming. I would love to hear from Ubiquiti as well.

To me it was common sense to avoid a setup like this, but the store executive asked for info to backup our recommendations, and I did not have anything off the top of my head.

Not having the info at my finger tips gave me a bit of pause and lead me to putting the question to the community.

My take is that it is not worth the risk on the outside chance it is harmful. Especially if the system is likely to perform better avoiding the radio pointed at a person (and even more specifically, their reproductive organs).

Thanks,

Rick

SuperUser
Kudos: 3686
Solutions: 307

The human body is a fantastic attenuator. Just from a performance/reliability standpoint alone get this radio relocated outdoors where it belongs and turn the power down.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1460
Solutions: 207

Although I am unaware of any studies that show a proven link between the type of RF exposure you'll get with this equipment and ill effects, I'd just move it. No reason to let it become a discussion point and it should perform better anyway,