Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Nanostation M2 Initial Setup Issue

I’ve read lots of help pages and browsed many forum posts (and watched about 2 hours of Youtube videos) but haven’t seen a solution to my issue.

I’m trying to set up a pair of Nanostation loco M2s so that I can have ‘Net access in a shop about 500 feet from my house. I have clear line of sight between them.

I have a desktop Mac running the latest version of Sierra (10.12.6) and access the Internet through a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 router.

What I’d like to know is where/how to plug the Nanostations in in order to do the initial configuration. I’ve tried:

1) plugging one into the Mac directly via the Ethernet port and the other into the router (both through their POE adapters)

2) adding a switch to the Mac and plugging both into the switch (also through the POE adapters)

3) plugging both directly into the router (through POE adapters)

When I plug one or both into my computer directly I can access the airOS login page and log in, but no info appears on the Main page (all fields are blank). Here’s a screen shot taken after logging in with one plugged into the computer and the other plugged into a LAN port on the router:

screenshot1.jpeg

I’ve also reset both the Nanostations and the router to factory-default settings to make sure I hadn’t messed any up and could start over from scratch but I still get no info on the Main airOS page.

I have no way of telling if I’m just missing a small but very important detail or if one or both of the Nanostations are defective (which seems unlikely but I have no way to tell).

Most tutorials start after the point I need them to (apparently), or just mention in passing that they have to be plugged in to my LAN to do the initial setup (ok… but how, exactly?). I’ve tried following several different tutorials (and I changed my ethernet network DHCP setting to static and assigned various IPs to them then started over when nothing changes) and I always end up in the same place; logged in but nothing happens or appears on the Main page.

In case it’s relevant, Internet access is provided by an Excede wifi modem connected to the Netgear router via ethernet cable (so I guess the Netgear router is redundant) but I haven’t tried plugging a Nanostation into the modem directly.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, including referrals to products that are easier to configure.

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 502
Solutions: 123

Re: Nanostation M2 Initial Setup Issue

Turn off WiFi on the mac.  Connect one directly to your mac, using the poe.

Set a static ip in the mac to 192.168.1.100

Try a differnt browser.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 502
Solutions: 123

Turn off WiFi on the mac.  Connect one directly to your mac, using the poe.

Set a static ip in the mac to 192.168.1.100

Try a differnt browser.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3169
Solutions: 651
Contributions: 73

I would also try disabling any script blockers or try another browser as @j2840fl mentioned.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 1

Changing the IP address to the one specified seemed to work (got it to open up in Safari and Firefox), now I just have to figure out the rest of the setup process (I have very little time to spare to do so; might be a few days until I can get back to it). I think I have all of the necessary info for that, though.

Thanks for the replies.