Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

Nanostation M5 (XW) with high CPU load

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've got two Nanostation M5. One is XM-revision and the other is XW.

I've got some CPU load issues with the XW model. Configuration is just set to access point for a bridged link. Software is the latest v6.0.

After a while the CPU load rises up to 100%. On the shell top shows the 'ksoftirqd' process with nearly 100% load. When I do a reboot the load is back to low level with around 3%.

The CPU load rises again when saturating the link with ~85 Mbit/s - ksoftirqd at 40% - and goes back to the low level load after the download is finished.

This issue was watched also with older firmware versions. The XM model doesn't have these problems. My Nanostation loco M5 (XW) also have no problems even after 180 days uptime.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nanostation M5 (XW) with high CPU load

[ Edited ]

The distance between both Nanostations is ~4m, because of former bandwith issues.

After factory reset and a complete new setup the issue is gone.

View solution in original post

All Replies

I was able to reproduce the phenomenon by saturating the link a few minutes and cancelled the download. The CPU load remains on high level with the process "ksoftirqd" on ~95%.

[ Edited ]

Now, the problem is getting worse. CPU load rises shortly after a reboot. As you can see in the attached image, after nearly 2h uptime the CPU is on heavy load with almost no traffic.

Today, I will reset the device completely and set it up from scratch without uploading a backup.

On LAN1, another Nanostation is connected with PoE passthrough.

20170121_Ubiquiti_Forum.png
SuperUser
Kudos: 4678
Solutions: 1060

You say there is another Nanostation local to this Nanostation.

How close together are they? I actually wonder if this maybe causing your issue.

The should have good frequency and physical separation between each other. Allow 2.5 metres horizontal and 1m vertical separation. Also consider the use of RF Armor shields kits if they are close.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

[ Edited ]

The distance between both Nanostations is ~4m, because of former bandwith issues.

After factory reset and a complete new setup the issue is gone.

Kudos: 4

Factory reset and reconfiguring with 6.0.7 did not resolve the issue for us, although the symptoms are the same. We disabled Extra Reporting on the Advanced tab and have not seen the issue for a few days. It was reproducible in less than 24 hours prior to this change.

Old post and I've read a through but this one mirrors our issue the closest.  Upgraded firmward to 6.1.11cs and the issue persists.

We've put in a watchdog for a local ip (on LAN0 of the affected station) that looses connectivity and this forces a reboot to clear it.  Whilst turning off advanced reporting has helped (it now takes 30 - 45 minutes isntead of 5 before cpu maxes and it looses itself) it still happens.

We tried a couple of other recommendations such as turning off multicast data, setting frequencey list, disabling logging etc.. etc..  But pain persists.    I'm tempted to try a much lower firmware as also suggested but it's a very remote site. We may look at replacing the hardware.. but it feels like it should be solvable with the right settings....

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 315
Solutions: 92

Make your own thread so other users who have moved on from this issue do not get unnecessary notifications please.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!