Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Nanostation NSM5 bridge with two IP cameras and POE network switch at station end

I've setup several ubnt bridge/PTP setups the last few years but I've run into an annoying issue with a configuration I've never tried previously.

I have a setup with one NSM5 as an AP through a network switch and an NVR.

Then another NSM5 setup as a station connected to a 5 port POE switch with two IP cameras.

The idea is two remotely located IP cameras about 500 meters away connected to the NVR via the bridge.

The problem is I cannot actually connect to the cameras. I've duplicated the setup using a CAT6 cable and no problem. But I cant get the cameras to connect over the wireless bridge. I've also connected a single IP camera directly to the station NSM5 and it works perfectly. But I cant get the two I{ camera setup through the POE switch to work. I can access the station NSM5 with no problems from the AP NSM5.

I've only previously setup wireless bridges with a router on the station end for remote WiFi connectivity.

What am I missing using a POE switch instead of a router?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nanostation NSM5 bridge with two IP cameras and POE network switch at station end

Thank you for the replies. An update and finally success...

I double-checked the sertup on both radios today and realized "Auto IP Aliasing" was checked under network settings. I'm not sure what it does but I removed the tic from the box on both radios and success. Now I'm running both IP cameras from the POE switch on the Station end without any problems. Go figure.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 4

Re: Nanostation NSM5 bridge with two IP cameras and POE network switch at station end

I have several sites doing this. Make sure your ip addresses are in subnet and you have WDS (transparent bridge mode) checked on all units.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10752
Solutions: 1669

When you access the one cam, is it using its fallback IP or does the cam get a DHCP address?  My guess is no DHCP and that two cams have the same fallback IP.  As mentioned, use WDS for layer 2 transparency so DHCP can work otherwise set static IPs and don't rely on fallback.

[ Edited ]

@LLigetfa wrote:

When you access the one cam, is it using its fallback IP or does the cam get a DHCP address?  My guess is no DHCP and that two cams have the same fallback IP.  As mentioned, use WDS for layer 2 transparency so DHCP can work otherwise set static IPs and don't rely on fallback.

The cams each have their own assigned static IP. The setup works fine on the bench using a cat6 cable. I just cant get it to work when using the M5's for the bridge. I have WDS enabled on both radios.

[ Edited ]

@W7PDQ wrote:

I have several sites doing this. Make sure your ip addresses are in subnet and you have WDS (transparent bridge mode) checked on all units.

I have WDS enabled on both units. All IP's are static and same subnet. The setup works fine bench tested using cat6 but not with the two M5's setup as a bridge. So I know its not a camera configuration.

Question: I've got airMax enabled. My assumption was that shouldn't be an issue as it's specific to the M5's communications between them and not the rest of the network. Would having airMAX enabled cause an issue when using a network switch on the station end?

Point of information; the POE network switch is a 4 port switch that also has an uplink port. I have not used the uplink port. I have both cameras plugged into their own POE port and the station M5 plugged into a POE port using an inline ubnt 18v POE adapter to power the M5. Is that the correct configuration? Works fine with the cat6 cable on the same port as I'm tring the station side M5.

Kudos: 6
Solutions: 4

So when running through the switch you are using additional cables. You might try eliminating the possibility you have a bad cablethat gets added when changing to the switch configuration. Also try putting a computer in a switch port and confirm if you can access the station, and hopefully, access point units. Ping and a port scanning app are your friends when chasing these things down.

Thank you for the replies. An update and finally success...

I double-checked the sertup on both radios today and realized "Auto IP Aliasing" was checked under network settings. I'm not sure what it does but I removed the tic from the box on both radios and success. Now I'm running both IP cameras from the POE switch on the Station end without any problems. Go figure.