Kudos: 74
Solutions: 10
Accepted Solution

Need a grounded multi-coupler

I have inherited an outdoor junction box with a hodge podge of rj-45 connectors in it, none of them grounded unfortunately. On the bright side, one of these coupler devices is four couplers in one, and is groundable, with a green wire dangling from it. You can mostly see this device in the centre of the attached photo.

I'd really like to source another one of these quad couplers so I can remove the other couplers from this box and have grounding for all eight of the devices that are cabled through it. The problem is that all of my web searching has come up dry.

Can anybody point me to a similar device that will couple 4-8 shielded rj-45 connectors with grounding?
db
coupler.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 122
Solutions: 23

Re: Need a grounded multi-coupler

All Replies
Kudos: 122
Solutions: 23

I've never used this exact model but it looks like what you are looking for.

http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-indoor-4-port-10-100-1000-base-t-shielded-cat6-poe-lightning-pr...
Kudos: 74
Solutions: 10

Bingo! Thanks so much.
db
Highlighted
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 6

Why do you want to ground everything? The switch deliberately goes about isolating everything for a very good reason. Google ethernet grounding and read why the ethernet spec does not include grounding.

Beware of what you read on the internet, or even the lid of the box before you verify it properly.

Static drain to one central group point sure, but never "ground everything" or you'll burn.