Emerging Member

Noise Floor / Current Noise Reporting in web interface (feature request?)

Hello...

I noticed that on every unit , even those that I know are in an environment that has high noise , it reports -96.

Is Noise Floor meant to show the current noise at the cpe or just show the (best) sensitivity of the current MCS mode?

Either way, it would be really nice if we could see the actual noise level, this way we can calculate the SNR and determine how good the link really is.

The problem I am having is that on a CPE side I know the noise is low (i.e. because the antenna has a small beam width) and I've seen the actual noise figures on other equipment. The noise doesn t really matter at the cpe side as I know as long is the signal is high its fine.
But at the base station (AP) side, where 120* sectors are used, I have no idea (even tough the signal level is great) how much noise there is on that given channel. So what I am seeing is that the CPE gets really bad upload speeds (10mbit down or so , and only 2 up) Because the noise is so high at the base station side.
The thing is ..I don't know how bad the rx on the AP is because the noise level is not given.

So my eventual feature request would be "current noise level" reporting. And even better would be SNR reporting......and one step further would be optional SNR reporting on LED's.
Established Member
Kudos: 136
Solutions: 3

Re: Noise Floor / Current Noise Reporting in web interface (feature request?)

I've not seen this problem with the Ubiquity gear (other then it occasionaly reads 10 wrong), which radio/OS revision are you using?
Emerging Member

I've not seen this problem with the Ubiquity gear (other then it occasionaly reads 10 wrong), which radio/OS revision are you using?

Well, I indeed did not mention it but I am talking about AirOS V and all subsequent rc's

But now that you mention it , the client side of the regular os 3.4 does show correct noise figures yet the AP side seems to only say -96. (bullet 2hp) , we also have some Powerstation5's and those also do seem to give the correct noise yet again the ap side lists -96, in the case of 5ghz this figure might be correct as I don t have any other machines running on this frequency to check their noise, yet the client side of that same ptp link lists -93 as noise.

But that aside, I am most concerned with the bulletM2 and airos V noise reporting.... especially at the AP side.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ....
Established Member

Well, you know what, I just looked at 10 B2HP's we are using as AP's, they were all -96 on the AP, except one which was -95. The Tranzeo's we replaced used to vary, and they were lower, like 100-102. These are way rural towers.
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 1

Well, you know what, I just looked at 10 B2HP's we are using as AP's, they were all -96 on the AP, except one which was -95. The Tranzeo's we replaced used to vary, and they were lower, like 100-102. These are way rural towers.

The forum is about M products...
I have 2xNS5M that also report -96 noise floor
Emerging Member

The forum is about M products...
I have 2xNS5M that also report -96 noise floor

Exactly. So this seems to be an issue in AirOS V (both factory and all RC's)

Since the question about the firmware did arise, it seems the older firmwares (NON-M Airmax) do give the right noise reading.
Every single M unit we have installed gives out -96 both AP and client. We have other proxim equipment on same band at the same location and it reports much higher (and varying) noise.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 24

Exactly. So this seems to be an issue in AirOS V (both factory and all RC's)

Since the question about the firmware did arise, it seems the older firmwares (NON-M Airmax) do give the right noise reading.
Every single M unit we have installed gives out -96 both AP and client. We have other proxim equipment on same band at the same location and it reports much higher (and varying) noise.

Hey Guys,
I have forwarded this to my software team.
Thanks,
Established Member

What does -96 noise floor fixed mean? Will it read accurately to -105 for example when that is the actual noise floor, or will it just work period, but still only allow a minimum of -96.
Highlighted
Emerging Member

Well, going by the specs sheet (as I understand it) the best/lowest noise level it can have is -96 , also called the sensitivity , the thing is that no matter how high the noise in that given location is, the reading in the webui stays at -96, others and myself have posted before about this issue in AirosV. On older equipment in the same location I get a different reading like -94 or so (Airos v3.4).