Port Forwarding with Nanostation M2

[ Edited ]

I am using a Nanostation M2 in my RV.  The nanostation is connected to my ASUS RT-5300 Router, which provides wifi and ethernet access for devices me and my family use.  One of these devices is a NAS Server that has PLEX Media Server running.

All is working great.  I used to have the M2 set as "Station", which worked at most campgrounds, but any with a captive screen it would not work.  With this forum as my main resource I was able to detemine that the M2 should be set as "Router".  This fix worked at the one and only campground I tried it on, but I am confident that it will work at others.

Now, my RV is in storage for the winter.  I placed the M2 near a window in the storage building, so I could pick up the wifi.

I would like to remote access my PLEX server, but I can't get in.  

I understand I need to use port forwarding, and because of my set-up with both the M2 and RT-5300 I need at least a Double Router port forwarding.  

There is a lot of guidance on setting port forwarding in the ASUS Router, but I am a bit confused on how to set it in the M2.

The LAN IP of the M2 is 192.168.123.1 (call it Router 1)  The LAN IP of the RT-5300 (Router 2) is 192.168.40.1.  I think the WAN IP for the RT-5300 comes from the M2 and it is 192.168.123.73.  The IP of the PLEX Server is 192.168.40.79 and 192.168.40.80.  Plex needs port 32400 to be open.

Can anyone help me set the port forwarding correctly in the M2. 

I should add that the Nanostation is running the latest firmware (XW.v6.1.8.32774.180921.1518).

Thanks Very Much...

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 221
Solutions: 56

Re: Port Forwarding with Nanostation M2

Have you already been through the short article in the Help Center? Let me know if there is something we can do to make the article clearer for you.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/220050248-airMAX-Port-Forwarding

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

[ Edited ]

Yes, I looked at it, as well as the AirOS 6 Manual.

I am learning as I go, so some of the terms that may seem obvious to the well trained as confusing to me, as this is my first attempt at this.

Here is my attempt at the settings:

Port Forward.jpg

Interface 

Assume it is LAN0.  Do I also need a port forward for WAN0 ?

Private IP 

Assume this is 192.168.123.73 (address of RT-5300).  Please confirm.
Private Port 

Assume this is 32400. That is the port PLEX Media Server says it uses.
Type 

I think I need two lines one for TCP and UTP.  Please confirm.

Source IP/Mask 

Is this the IP of the computer I am using to access the Server ?  I can set it to static and 192.168.2.XXX.  That works with my router at home, and another 

Public IP/Mask

I got a 142.166.XX.XX ip address from some port forwarding software that looked at the routers.  Is that the public IP ?  Do I add /24 for the netmask ?
Public Port

Port forwarding software also told me the port was 13603.  Is that the public port ?

Thanks for the detailed guidance you can provide.  Will help me (and others I hope)

Here is the guide I used to set up the M2 and Router.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205197710-airMAX-Configure-a-Long-range-WiFi-Client

Here are the screen shots from Port Finder:

Router IP.jpg

Here are the Network Settings for my M2:

WAN Network Settings.jpg

LAN Network Settings.jpg

Kudos: 797
Solutions: 193

If I understand you correctly, you have the Nano connected to public WiFi?

If so, the public WiFi is what will block you from getting in, unless you also manage the public WiFi router.

Port forward through multiple routers is tricky to get working reliably.

The easiest solution when things get complex is to configure a VPN at the "camper" end to connect back to your home or office.

I may be wrong, but do you have full management rights to the internet modem and all routers in question?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response.  It is like the NSM2 is connected to a public Wifi, but it is at my workplace.  It's like a back door directly to the internet.  It give us access to the internet directly, so I installed a wireless router to that switch, so that we can connect with our phones and also so I can extend the access.  I think we have a VLAN on that switch (the switch is part of another wireless link), and the 3rd Party gave us our own "lane".  Kind of a synergistic situation they wanted to use our towers to get a wireless link to another facility, and we wanted an internet connection.  I put the router on the switch, and configured the Wifi Access for it.  If you plug a PC into the ethernet port of the ASUS Router, you have access to the internet.  No sign-in, no proxy, just free and easy surfing. 

I think If I had the NAS attached directly to the ASUS Router, I would have remote access without needing any port forwarding.  That router is essentially acting as a wireless switch (bridge).  The "routing" is managed by the NSM2.  Not sure, as I still have a lot to learn.

Here's a sketch:

RV Network at Work.jpg

The question would be, if you plug your laptop into the switch, what IP do you get.

If you get a public address, this is workable.

If you get a private address, the third party has a router that will block remote access. The nas would be reachable only behind the ASUS.

I understand you want to forward ports in the Nano, but want to be sure you will get what you are after if you do.

Start by plugging into the switch that gives you internet from the third party. Report back what IP your laptop gets.

10.1.0.xxx etc.

OK, Thanks

I am 99 % sure I will get a public IP, but I will confirm tomorrow. 

Can the same test results be obtained if I plug my laptop into the ASUS Router and see if I get a public IP ?

Probably not. Unless the ASUS is in bridge mode (not likely).

You could login to the ASUS and see what it shows for the WAN ip.

That would tell you the same as plugging directly into the switch with a laptop.

Ran a few tests.

connected to switch directly.

ipconfig says my ip is 192.168.49.XX

Router is 192.168.49.1

whatismyip.host says public ip is 142.166.XX.XX

Connected to 1st Router

ipconfig says my ip is 192.168.50.XX

Router is 192.168.50.1

whatiismyip.host says public ip is same as above

Connected to LAN side of M2

ipconfig says my ip is 192.168.23.XX

Router is 192.168.123.1

whatismyip.host says public ip is same as above.

So i am thinking I need to open ports on 192.168.49.1, 192.168.50.1 (ASUS Router), 192.168.123.1 (M2), and my RV Router 192.168.40.1.  Would that be correct ?

That indicates the ISP router is giving you a private IP. 

If you can get them to forward ports(not likely) or better yet provide a public IP,  then you can do forwarding on your end.

Forwarding through so many routers will likely prove problematic.

The correct way is to get a public to your router, then bridge beyond that point. Then all you need is a port forward in your main router that is attached to your ISP.

Adding multiple layers of NAT will be troublesome.

If they wont/cant accommodate a public, you will have a hard time getting this to work.

OK  Thanks very much.

I'll manage without remote access.