Accepted Solution

Power Beam M5 400 Issue

I have a problem with PB M5 400. I use one Lite Beam as AP and others Lite Beams as Station (PTMP). It covers approximately 5Km distance. I want to replace PB M5 400 to LB as AP. But the PB does't work like LB.

Also i come to know when i'm trying to replace SSID of all stations from LiteBeam to PowerBeam, some of LiteBeams(Satation) reset on default byself or i don't know how?

Even my others PowerBeams work very well as it also covers wide area as compare to that Powerbeam which i'm talking.

From my observtion that PB does't work for long and wide area.

Can some one tell me what is the issue? 

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 261
Solutions: 70

Re: Power Beam M5 400 Issue

The radiation patterns are documented in the datasheets for our products. The link tool demonstrates a radial coverage area around the AP where you can point the directional antenna in order to cover the beamwidth of that antenna. Distance is determined by dozens of environmental factors, sandwiched between local noise and interference, and ultimately limited by EIRP which is a combination of output power and antenna gain.

Increasing channel width does not increase the beamwidth of the radiation pattern.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

powerbeams do not provide a wide beamwidth for large area coverage. They are not good PTMP APs for this reason.

Please describe your issue and provide screenshots of the configuration tabs of affected devices.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

thanks for all stuff.

Can you advise me a proper solution for below sanerio?

I want to cover approximately 10-12 Km for PTMP on one side. Which device is better as AP for this sanerio? 

Curently I'm using PowerBeam M5-400 as AP on four side and LiteBeam as Station. I know i can use rocket M5 with sector antena but i think it does't cover 10-12Km. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2166
Solutions: 335

10-12km is a fairly large coverage area for a PtMP sector. Are all your PtMP clients clustered together? If so you can use a Rocket and a Rocket Dish.

No its locate on different places.

Like some clients on one side and some on others...

bro how can I know beamwidth of a PowerBeam on Airlink View?

Like how much area a PowerBeam can cover width wise not distance wise from Airlink View?

And If i use channel 80 for distance  7-10Km then can it cover more distance width wise? 

Ubiquiti Employee

The radiation patterns are documented in the datasheets for our products. The link tool demonstrates a radial coverage area around the AP where you can point the directional antenna in order to cover the beamwidth of that antenna. Distance is determined by dozens of environmental factors, sandwiched between local noise and interference, and ultimately limited by EIRP which is a combination of output power and antenna gain.

Increasing channel width does not increase the beamwidth of the radiation pattern.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Here three screenshots of effected PowerBeam. It reboot byself whenever i'm trying to speedtest from tool even from any CPE or AP, i get same response(Reboot).

And as i said It does't work properly as a Litebeam is hang along with it, work properly for same station.

1.png
2.png
3.png
Ubiquiti Employee

How is this device being powered?

By its original POE adapter.

Ubiquiti Employee

Ok. Can you clarify what is happening with the LiteBeam?
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 6

@cits1415 wrote:

From my observtion that PB does't work for long and wide area.

You are right.  The PBM5-400 is a very narrow antenna, but very capable of 10-12km links.  I use these for distant spot beams and they work very well, BUT I also use the same PBM5-400 as the client antennas, not some little LB which are for little hops, not a powerful outdoor network.

Buy one more PBM5-400 and try it as a client radio - you will be amazed.