Veteran Member
Kudos: 2282
Solutions: 31

Rocket M2 30 db dish WISH

I don't mean to start a new thread for a question that has already more then likely been answered I just can't find it. Sorry!
I was actually hoping they were going to make a 2.4 ghz 30db Rocket dish for PTP as my thought was start using 5 ghz for client connections to avoid the interference of their own wifi and everyone else in their neighborhood and use the 2.4 rockets with 30db directional dishes as back haul P2P links where they would have less of a problem from low power wifi stuff a hundred feet below inside houses.
Any possibility is $@% that they may decide to make a stem for 2.4? I know I could use a Bullet M with a grid but you lose the 2x2 which gives a nice 25+ mbs in both directions, or 45+ in one direction at 20mhz channel width.
Icon Cry
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

Eww 30 db 2.4ghz dish

Do you actually have one, I do they are huge almost a 5ft dish, usually cost around $400 too. But if you already have one and a tower that can hold it might as well just throw another one up there in a different polarization and call it good. If it were me, from an engineering and resell perspective I wouldn't build a 5ft dual polarized 30db 2.4ghz dish and actually try to sell it on the market. It's a nice dish wish but logistically it would probably bankrupt Ubiquiti to mass produce it... or are they filthy rich? You might be able to buy a 2.4ghz dual polarized feed and throw it into your dish that would be a fun project.
Emerging Member

Re: Rocket M2 30 db dish WISH

A 2.4 dish that offers the same gain as a 5.8 one will be roughly twice the size.
There are plenty of nice 2.4 grid dishes available that are <100$ and have 24dbi gain.
It would be nice if the rocket sector & dish had 2.4 counterparts.
Highlighted
Kudos: 1

A 2.4 dish that offers the same gain as a 5.8 one will be roughly twice the size.

There are plenty of nice 2.4 grid dishes available that are <100$ and have 24dbi gain.

They are making the sector's for 2.4 right!? I thought I saw that on the main page in the airmax antenna section
Thanks,
Lee - levelOne Solutions
Kudos: 1

A small correction - a 2.4 Dish with the same gain as a 5.8 will be a bit over 4 times the size and a bit over twice the width.

A 4 feet dish gives you about 27dBi @ 2.4Ghz, to get to 30dBi you need twice the area which means 1.4 times the width of the 27dBi

That's a 5.6 feet dish and it's pretty big...