Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Rocket M5 - can not boot because of wrong roots size

I installed OpenWrt to my Ubnt Rocket M5 router, but it has a but that resets all the configurations after reboot. Later I knew Ubnt updated the u-boot and changed rootfs size from 6528k to 5760k, since the XW 5.6.x version.

So I want to reinstall the stock firmware by the TFTP method. The device  only accepts firmware version >= 5.6.x, and the TFTP process seems normal. But the device just does not boot, stucking at 

Booting Atheros AR934x
 (I monitored the boot process via serial com port)

I can manually rootfs size from 5760k to 6528k, with 
mtdparts default
saveenv
or
setenv mtdparts 'mtdparts=ath-nor0:256k(u-boot),64k(u-boot-env),1024k(kernel),6528k(rootfs),256k(cfg),64k(EEPROM)'
saveenv

This make the device boot normally, and I can finally access to the 192.168.1.20 webpage. But this change is NOT PERSISTENT. Everytime after reboot, rootfs size changes back to 5760k, making the device can not boot again.

I also tried to upload a firmware via 192.168.1.20 webpage, but it just says "Firmware check failed" with error code -109.

So any ideas about what's wrong and what can I do?

Re: Rocket M5 - can not boot because of wrong roots size

This is because openwrt crash eeprom partition, i think so

have you another such device?