Kudos: 2

Rocket M5 disturbance to other links

Hi,

We encountered an abnormal situation when we put the Rocket M5 to test. At first we thought it might have been some sort of coincidence, isolated incident or mistake or whatever but this happened again this eve.

The first incident was when we first put the rocket to test. We set it as an AP and attached one 120 degree sector. We currently have several 5Ghz radio links, so we chose a frequency which can cause the least trouble, in the very lower indexes of the band. We encountered a situation where several of our radio links getting faded or dropped which were no where near the frequency used by the rocket. Mind you we used the 20Mhz width as well. We changed the frequency a number of times and experienced similar effects over the weekend and finally settled down with a frequency which didn't give us headaches anymore. This concerned us but we thought it was an isolated incident until this eve when we tested (actually replaced a live link with a rocket to test its capabilities Man Frustrated) the rocket as a PtP and we encountered the same issue. Although i can't remember the frequencies we tested the last time and the frequencies which faded this time we used 5260Ghz as the rocket frequency and it caused a drastic fade and eventually a drop in one of our critical links operating in 5500Ghz. when we switched the rocket off the link went back to normal. we tried different frequencies in higher indexes and observed the same result. eventually we ended up with 5180Ghz and so far our other link didn't fade. We used 20, 10Mhz width in all cases. We also encountered a very (utterly unacceptable) signal levels for the PtP link, that of cause we need to investigate further using different site and different units as well, which we hope to do so on sunday.

My question is, is this abnormal behavior due to a faulty set of units or bug/abnormality in the unit/firmware (I know no one else has encountered such issue so Im not holding on to this) or some unexplained phenomenon or simply we've got em all wrong?? Has such issue been arised or forwarded by anyone else or is this the first and may be the only time? And most importantly what can I do to make it not happen again, coz my co-engineers will have me for dinner if this happens again Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated

Regards,
Sam..
Regards,
Sam..
SuperUser
Kudos: 8636
Solutions: 1448

Re: Rocket M5 disturbance to other links

I don't have a definitive answer. But
I can infer from your description.

This could be interaction between the
internal Bullet circuits and other equipment.
While the Bullet's rf sections have some
internal shielding, the processor and other
circuits don't. And it's in a plastic case.

Any device like this puts out some general
wideband rf noise. I'd guess you're getting
either a raised rf noise floor from this or
a direct interaction between this device
and sensitive stages of other units. If
the other units aren't in metal boxes,
this could be at some intermediate stage.

I assume you're using shielded CAT5 and
are grounding the metal antenna. Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Previous Employee
Kudos: 24

Hi,

We encountered an abnormal situation when we put the Rocket M5 to test. At first we thought it might have been some sort of coincidence, isolated incident or mistake or whatever but this happened again this eve.

The first incident was when we first put the rocket to test. We set it as an AP and attached one 120 degree sector. We currently have several 5Ghz radio links, so we chose a frequency which can cause the least trouble, in the very lower indexes of the band. We encountered a situation where several of our radio links getting faded or dropped which were no where near the frequency used by the rocket. Mind you we used the 20Mhz width as well. We changed the frequency a number of times and experienced similar effects over the weekend and finally settled down with a frequency which didn't give us headaches anymore. This concerned us but we thought it was an isolated incident until this eve when we tested (actually replaced a live link with a rocket to test its capabilities Man Frustrated) the rocket as a PtP and we encountered the same issue. Although i can't remember the frequencies we tested the last time and the frequencies which faded this time we used 5260Ghz as the rocket frequency and it caused a drastic fade and eventually a drop in one of our critical links operating in 5500Ghz. when we switched the rocket off the link went back to normal. we tried different frequencies in higher indexes and observed the same result. eventually we ended up with 5180Ghz and so far our other link didn't fade. We used 20, 10Mhz width in all cases. We also encountered a very (utterly unacceptable) signal levels for the PtP link, that of cause we need to investigate further using different site and different units as well, which we hope to do so on sunday.

My question is, is this abnormal behavior due to a faulty set of units or bug/abnormality in the unit/firmware (I know no one else has encountered such issue so Im not holding on to this) or some unexplained phenomenon or simply we've got em all wrong?? Has such issue been arised or forwarded by anyone else or is this the first and may be the only time? And most importantly what can I do to make it not happen again, coz my co-engineers will have me for dinner if this happens again Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated

Regards,
Sam..

Hey Sam,
The wideband emissions fall within FCC specs so the RF section should not be an issue. With traffic running on the Rocket, can yo post a spectrum analyzer screeshot/video for the entire 5Ghz band?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi,
Dave, Yes we are using cat5 STP and we do ground our antennas. We are not using bullets rather rockets, and our others links are not ubiquity producs, they are other microwave radio's and though they are not in external metel cases they are in their factory produced metel covering
Mike, do you want me to post a spectrum analyzer sceern shot when the disturbance occurs i.e. when we use those specific frequencies which cause other radios to fade or whilst using the frequency which we have set now? As I told we did encounter another problem, the low levels of signal, the link is actually only 5km apart but we experienced only levels of at best -75dbm. This we need to check again using diffferent connector cables, etc. which we didn't have time today to do, so until then we are unable to put traffic on the link. Can't even reach 512Mbps throughput Man Frustrated. We will however test another link at two different sites by sunday and will update you on that one as well.
Regards,
Sam..
Regards,
Sam..
SuperUser
Kudos: 8636
Solutions: 1448

Thanks for your update, Sam.
Don't know why I said 'Bullets'.

Even though a radio meets FCC
noise specs, it can still produce
local interference. Good luck!

Sorry you can't reach 512Mbps
speeds; I've not been able to either.Icon Wink Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

We tested another rocket PtP link today and this time we did not experienced any disturbunce to our other links like the last time. This time we used the rocket with a different .6m dish and a 29dbi dual pole dipole and frequency 5640. Link distace was around 4km and this time we received a very good signal and a data rate. We had some other links in the 5.4 and 5.8 ranges near by and they did not fade like last times. We had a data rate (I mean the rate shown on the GUI) of 130/130 but some times the Rx rate drops to 6 and goes up again. Mike, do you have any idea why this is so?? I guess we have to investigate on that other link which was poor in quality and I will get you that Spectrum analyzer screen shot as soon as we get our analyzer to the site Man Happy So far so good with the new link, only prob is with that varing Rx rate, will put some live traffic tommorrow and check on that MTU issue as well..
Regards,
Sam..

Hey all,
So far so good, can see a good data rate, and the MTU prob is also fixed with this new firmware.. will monitor for another week or so.. Still the data rates shown in the web interface changes frequently.. Don't know whether this is a bug in the GUI or an actual case..
Regards,
Sam..
Regards,
Sam..
Kudos: 53
Solutions: 2

On the (new) current site do you use the same brand equipment as the other one?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

We use the same rockets, but the antennas are different. The earlier site we used the rocket dish, here we use a .6m dualpole dish.
Regards,
Sam..