Kudos: 740
Solutions: 9

Stinger or Reflector Dish for NanoStations?

Our "blown LAN" ports on all the Bullet radios is getting out of hand, and we've noticed the NanoStations survive thunderstorms a lot better. The problem is, we rarely can use the NSM5's because of the low signal gain. Does anyone know if there is a Stinger or Reflector Dish product to use with these, like we do with Canopy products?

I know its not bad grounding practices, because we have NSM5's, Trango, Canopy 5.2's, and every other type of hardware out there and JUST the UBNT Bullet's are the one's always coming back with blown LAN's. I really wish UBNT could figure something out to make them more resistant to this type of thing.
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 3

Re: Stinger or Reflector Dish for NanoStations?

take a look at these, i have used them a few times and work pretty good.

www.mowinet.com/
Kudos: 13

I know its not bad grounding practices, because we have NSM5's, Trango, Canopy 5.2's, and every other type of hardware out there and JUST the UBNT Bullet's are the one's always coming back with blown LAN's. I really wish UBNT could figure something out to make them more resistant to this type of thing.
LOL I have said the same thing many times. UBNT just tells me to ground my radios better, I tell them to stop using chintzy parts, and round and round that discussion goes with nary a resolution in sight.

As previously mentioned by another poster, Mowinet dishes are nifty. I use them myself for Ns2s/NS2Locos, and there really isn't any reason why they wouldn't work on NS5s.
Kudos: 25

We've experienced similar problems but including PS and NS so far no Bullets. I have a whole room full of blown LAN ports waiting for a trip to the solder bench to replace the PHY chip.
We currently have 600+ Ubiquiti radios and about 400 Engenius CB3s and their variants (eg Tranzeo). In 5 years I've lost one CB3 and that was to a lightning strike the charred the RJ45 (and took out several other items in the customer's home).
Shielded/grounded cable has helped but the Ubiquiti gear is clearly more fragile in this regard. Their equpiment is great but improving the robustness of the LAN port would be a *huge* step.

We I also don't have as many NSM5's out there, I was thinking because of the plastic isolation between the unit and the metal Arm Mount, but who knows.
Kudos: 10

same here. we have about 50 NS2´s that need the chip changed out. I have seen MK , Linksys , dlink and many other manufactures take a lot more static discharge with no damage to the LAN port. But these Ubiquiti´s will blow one if they just feel a tickle. That is one reason I am not to keen on going to M as I cant find the replacement chip to fix them when they blow the Lan.
Kudos: 1171
Solutions: 64

I setup a link with NanostationM5's with the mowinet reflectors, although I was skeptical they perform as advertised and were not that hard to align.... I definately would recommend them.

I've seen a canopy reflector dish drop the signal from -80db to -55db, that's 25db!
SuperUser
Kudos: 8745
Solutions: 1490

Instead of sticking on these reflectors,
consider NanoBridge.

Very unlikely an 18in. dish not designed
for this radio will add 25dB to a 2X2 MIMO
signal--even more unlikely it will be
nearly symmetrical for two chains.

Consider that the AirMAX 24in. dish with
carefully integrated feedhorn only yields
30dBi gain. Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Kudos: 1171
Solutions: 64

I had 2 NanostationM5's making a link 7 miles at -81 signal with some slight fresnel blockage at 20mhz channel width....
Adding a reflector to one Nanostation gave me a ~74 signal and really made the link stable... I'll have to check and see if the chains are close but I think they were.... They work as advertised if your in a pinch, but I agree, Nanobridges are the way to go usually.
Highlighted
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I dig out this old topic because I have a similar question.

I use the Nanostation M2 on different campgrounds in europe. On some rare places its not possbile to have a stable Link. So i actually testing with dishes to have a reserve. I have seen this Mowinet Mount / Dish - it sounds nice, but its very expensive to ship to europe. So i would like to use a normal dish from tv / sat service - here you get them in used condition for very little money.

Questions:

What i should generelly consider?

Which dish size could help realize a sigificant improvement?

Any Ideas for selfmade feed mounting (this seems to be the hardest part)?

Which Ubiquiti product would be better if im done with these dish experiments? =) Nanobeam, Airgrid...?

Things I already found out:

The dishes here are offset antennas. So the dish have to look to the ground or must be rotated 180 degrees (what is better?)

It is possible that I exceed the maximum allowed radiation (that is not a problem here..)

Today I tested with a 60cm / 23" Dish and fixed the nanostation with cable ties - only for testing. It was an improvement of 3-5db and 2mbit to 5mbit. Not bad, but i think there should be a bit more possible using a 23" dish (?).

What do you think?

Greetings, Christoph

P.S: Im not that good in speaking english, sry for that.