Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Suggested hardware for sharing gigabit 350metre airMAX links

The neighbourhood I'm part of is just on the edge of the fibre rollout, so I'm wanting to share internet with my neighbours. They are about 300-350m away, good LOS. While I'll have a gigabit connection feeding the 6 households, they will be happy with 400mbps or so. It's a big bump over 12mbps ADSL2.

I was thinking a couple of LAP-GPS's on this end covering 2 houses each, and NBE-5AC-Gen2's as CPE.

ER-6P Edgerouter giving everyone their own VLAN to keep households separate.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or am I on the right track?

ubnt-link2.png
ubnt-link.png
SuperUser
Kudos: 5423
Solutions: 1804

Re: Suggested hardware for sharing gigabit 350metre airMAX links

It's a fine plan. Those trees at 8 o'clock might be an issue for that one home. Remember clear line of sight and clear Fresnel zone for best results.

I've looked at the Street View of the location, and you have some rolling hills; some client radios might need some elevation (pole mounts) to hit your APs with the best results.

If you can place the two LAP-GPS units at opposite ends of the house, keeping in mind clear line of sight to all the clients, it would be best. If you can use your structure to shield one LAP from the other, that's even better. That might not be possible given the height of your home.

You can try channel re-use with GPS sync, or split frequencies to see what gives the best results. Remember to have your clients avoid the 5GHz channels you use on their own home wifi units.

Also consider LBE-5AC-23 Gen 2 for client radios. I don't think there would be too much gain (turn down transmit power), and they are a bit cheaper.
Set a Frequency! Don't leave it on Auto!
Disable Uplink Connectivity Monitor
Always set-inform a Second time after Adopting

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah don't worry about the trees, they are in the way now, but in the process of being chopped down! https://i.imgur.com/0oNYnOM.jpg This taken from ground level, I will be mounting the CPE at the top of the distant roof apex, and can gain about 3-4 easily from where I'm standing. There is a bit of a hill there, but hopefully will be able to get a bit of height to clear it incl Fresnel. 

I was hoping to use the solar water structure pictured below for mounting the 2 LAP-GPS units, because it's handy, tall, and cabling to it is easy. Hard to shield though. Sorry about the photo, it's night time here at the moment.

Re LBE-5AC-23, any other benefit other than price? They seem like they would catch more wind than a Nanobeam, which is an important factor here as it's very exposed. I'd prefer to pay a bit extra for it to be less flappy.

20190430_221818.jpg

Re Fresnel zone, if the distance is 300m, at 5.8Ghz that makes the radius 2metres. 

If the CPE is visible from ground level: https://i.imgur.com/fHlDXyA.png (ignore the tree, going soon) then we move the AP up 2-3m, that should give us plenty of clearance right? 

SuperUser
Kudos: 5423
Solutions: 1804

If high winds are an issue, yes, use the less flappy Nanobeams.

Plenty of clearance is always a good thing. Having the 1st Fresnel zone just clearing the ground/grass/bushes is good, but more is better (there are Fresnel zones beyond the first one).

Use the Solar tower. You'll probably want one LAP in the low 5GHz range, and the other in the high range. Again, coordinate any 5GHz wifi in the homes so that they don't interfere with the Nanobeams.
Set a Frequency! Don't leave it on Auto!
Disable Uplink Connectivity Monitor
Always set-inform a Second time after Adopting