Troubleshooting a marine setup

We have an M5 Access Point talking to three stations - these are mounted in a remote location, north of the Arctic Circle.

The stations are mounted on a barge about 10m above sealevel

The antennas are mounted on floating structures about 2m above sealevel

The distance between all the antennas is about 200-300m

The barges and structures can move a little (perhaps a few meters sideways) - they don't rock much though.  

Weather can be an issue, but right now it's clear and calm (when i took the screenshots)

We are having terrible throughput - can someone who knows what they're looking at, take a look at our settings and see if there's anything obviously wrong?  Attached are the screenshots (with some identifying information removed)

It is possible that the antennas have become physically misaligned, but it's unlikely. (we are getting that checked out soon though)

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.49.45 PM .pngMAINScreen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.50.18 PM .pngNETWORKScreen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.50.32 PM .pngADVANCEDScreen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.49.58 PM .pngWIRELESSScreen Shot 2019-01-22 at 12.49.16 PM .pngSTART

Re: Troubleshooting a marine setup

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 1.11.29 PM .pngAIRVIEW

Established Member
Kudos: 465
Solutions: 45

Your throughput is bad becuase your received signal level (RSSI) is very low. You need either higher gain antennas or better alignment or both.

Thank you!

The antennas are the ones we have right now we cannot easily replace them. To improve alignment, what specific numbers should I be looking at to improve? What are good/bad levels of those? We can have remote operators move the antennas for us.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2166
Solutions: 335

Aim to improve your receive signal level.
Kudos: 4

It's not clear from your initial statement if the antennas are 2 m above sea level or 10 m above sea level. If it is 2 m that is probably not sufficient. I think that the alignment would have to be really poor to account for your problems so the issue may lie elsewhere.

You could try setting the distances manually (slightly over the actual distance). Set a fixed frequency not auto and try a few different frequencies across the spectrum available to you. Set a wider channel width if possible, say 40 Mhz.

Established Member
Kudos: 465
Solutions: 45

The problem is the low gain of the antennas. You are not going to get too much more signal then you already have with only a 3 dB gain antenna. If all of the stations are in the same general direction you may be able to replace the AP end with a Nanostation or LiteAP-120 and get much better performance. At least in this way you are only replacing the AP end of the link. 

I tried your suggestions (wider channel, raised distances and fixed frequencies) - seems to have made things quite a bit better.  

I will continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Kudos: 4

I don't use Litebeams myself but your antenna settings say 'feed only' which seems unlikely to be correct. Can you select the correct antenna's here and see if it helps ?  At the ranges of 200-300 m you are operating at I would expect you to be running on power levels far below the maximum (max power would be far too hot) so something looks wrong with your antenna and output power settings.