Using iPhone as AP on Nanostation M2 in RV

I have a Nanostation M2 in my RV, connected to a TP-Link travel router. When visiting a park, I connect the NS to my computer via ethernet, go to 192.168.1.20, and log into the NS. Set to Station mode in the wireless tab, I connect to the park's SSID. After that, I disconnect the ethernet cable from my computer and connect it to the travel router, which broadcasts my private SSID throughout the RV and enables all of my devices to have internet.

Sometimes, the park's wifi is extremely slow or goes out completely. Is it possible when that happens to connect the nanostation to my iPhone's hotspot? In other words, instead of using the park's SSID as the AP, I'd like to use my iPhone as the AP for the nanostation, which I would then broadcast through the RV with my router. Is this possible?

I have tried this with no success. In the nanostation interface, when I hit "select" beside SSID, "Robert's iPhone" does show up in the list of available SSIDs. I'm able to select it and "lock to AP" on that screen, but when I go back to the "wireless" page to hit "change," I get a message asking me to "please enter a valid SSID." Just to try something, I did try removing the space between the two words, resulting in "Robert'siPhone." Doing this allowed me to hit "change" and then "apply," but when I connected to my travel router and connected my devices to the private network, I had no internet.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Kudos: 797
Solutions: 193

Re: Using iPhone as AP on Nanostation M2 in RV

Well, just a guess, but is the Iphone hotspot broadcasting on 5GHz, instead of 2.4 GHz?

That would explain why you dont see it in survey.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 222
Solutions: 56

Connecting to non-Ubiquiti devices wirelessly requires disabling the airMax protocol. I have not tried what you're suggesting, but that may be the only limitation.

I would also not use the Lock to AP setting unless there are multiple SSIDs with the same name.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Highlighted
Kudos: 797
Solutions: 193

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-JoshMcGee Disabling Airmax is only possible when the Airmax device is set to AP mode.

There is no need or option in station mode.