What does the distance setting *actually* do? LBE-5AC-23

I recently set up a pair of LBE-5AC-23's at a distance of ~5 miles, and after some trial and error they are working fairly well. That is to say, they are allowing a friend to watch Netflix in 1080P and the connection doesn't drop.

I found that turning the channel width down to 10 Mhz made things much more stable, and I disabled all channels except for 5820, which was the quietest one I could see in AirView. I've been learning what I can from the forums, but can't seem to find a clear answer to what the distance setting actually does. Some people say leave it on auto, others say set to 110% of actual, other say set to 120% of actual.

So my question is this; does the distance setting affect how the beam is formed, that is, does setting it longer "tighten" the beam?

Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1

Re: What does the distance setting *actually* do? LBE-5AC-23

[ Edited ]

@inv3nt0r wrote:

Some people say leave it on auto, others say set to 110% of actual, other say set to 120% of actual.

So my question is this; does the distance setting affect how the beam is formed, that is, does setting it longer "tighten" the beam?

From the user guide

Distance (Available in Access Point PTP modes only.)
Displays the current distance between devices in
kilometers and miles for Acknowledgement (ACK)
frames. Changing the distance value will change the
ACK (Acknowledgement) timeout accordingly. The ACK
timeout specifies how long the device should wait for
an acknowledgement from a partner device confirming
frame reception before it concludes that there has been
an error and resends the frame. You can adjust the
Distance value on the Wireless page (see “Distance” on
page 16).

You could try to tweak it, we've found that changing it to a bigger values could increase both stability and speed, at least for obstructed stations (no LOS, obstructed Fresnel zone). Also try data rate module: alternative when tweaking distance.

My post with tests: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-General-Discussion/Increasing-distance-manually-by-0-5-1-0miles...

Thanks for the link to the user guide thedenter!

I will give it a read so that I understand the features fully. Until this point I was just going by the quick start guide + my own knowledge of WiFi + forums. I'm sure there is a lot of useful information in that document.

In a few weeks I will be putting up a proper tower, and mounting my radio on a home-built motorized pan/tilt bracket. I'm hoping that with better alignment on a taller/sturdier tower will get my speeds up. Currently we are averaging about 8 mbit, but I'd really like to get above 120 mbit. I'm in an urban setting so it is pretty noisy here, maybe I need a higher gain antenna to pull this off. Time will tell.

Regards,

inv3nt0r

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2169
Solutions: 335

It doesn't change the physical width of the beam. If you'd like us to take a look at the link, feel free to post screenshots of the dashboard from both ends.