Kudos: 1

Re: connecting Nanostation M2 to AP requires username and password

Nanostation M2 to station mode en under network to router mode

That way its easy to reach your nanostation

I would set your airgateway under wireless to simple mode and under network to bridge with a static ip in the same range as the lan side of the nanostation

NTP is the time service found under the services page 

The inactivity counter of the hotspot is not something you can influance, but if you generate traffic it should not count out.

Hi Gargoyle 158

I just arrived from my short vacation of 4 days and finally it work as I expect. With my setting that I provided in the PDF attached below, I selected the best network in my camping site (Oriole2) and with my IPad, I reached an HTTP site, entered the logon page info of the campgroung (a single password) and that's it. Atfer that, I never entered again the password on our 2 Iphone, 2 Ipad and 1 PC during those 4 days. Basically, it's the configuration that I follow on the web site that I posted earlier.

Initially, I attached my Nanostation M2 on a pole and a suction cup on my RV, but after 2 days it droped down during the night. So I simply attached the pole to the latter on my RV and find it much more secure.

You will see, the PDG content is in french, because I'm french canadian, anyway it will be easy to follow up because it's the same parameters in the same order.  

So good luck, bonne chance

Philippe

Hi flipland and others,

I have a very similar setup.  I ditched my air gateway, and now connect the LAN side of the Nanostation M2 to an ASUS Router, (192.168.50.1).  I then set up a SSID on the ASUS router for my devices to connect on.  Works great except at this one fantastic campground that has a webpage where you need to click (daily) on the accept terms.

I could not get it to work last summer when I was there, and I am heading back there next weekend.

There is no security on the wifi, just need to click on the accept box to continue.  Similar to WalMart Wifi.  I'll be able to try that as we are overnighting at walmart on the way.

I always bring a laptop with me to do the site survey and lock the nanostation to an AP, so I should have all the tools, just need the settings to get things working.

I have a NAS connected to the router, and my PLEX Home Theatre on the NAS doesn't load very well if there is no internet connection.

I am at work now, and cant download your screen shots, but will take a look later.

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer for settings on both the Nanostation as well as the ASUS Router.

Thanks 

Hi RaiderNation,

First why you ditched your AIr Gatew ay unit, in my case it work as expected ? For the problem how to configure the NanoStation when the provider of the WIFI ask you to accept the terms conditions, I had a similar problem to a KOA campground in September this year at Saco in Maine, where you have to enter a user name and a password then ask to confirm that you won’t do any streaming like with Netflix. After an hour to try to change my configuration setting, I ditched it. It was the first time I had a case like that and figure out that may be my Air Gateway and my NanoStation will be useless. In my case, I winterrized may trailer camp because I’m in Montreal area in province of Quebec Canada.

I wish that someone could provide a tested solution. 

So  I will follow-up any reply on it.

Philppe (Flipland)

I'll test it next weekend.  Normandy Farms in Foxboro also requires you to check the terms and conditions.  I will also be overnighting at a walmart, so i can test it there also. 

The air gateway was so sloooow compared to a regular router.  I had a gigabit switch so I could connect Cat 5e to the router, as my NAS doesn't use wifi, and I needed ethernet.  When I switched to the ASUS router, my bandwidth doubled. 

The campground we are usually at let me install a M5 on their router, so I put another M5 on my ladder, and created a bridge.  I use an M2 when we travel.  It worked OK, but I could never get it going with a login screen, but I will try it in router mode and see if I can get it working with captive screens.

HI RaiderNation,

So, if I understand, you will try the configuration setting for the logon page (user + password), but not yet find a solution for terms conditions page prompted after logon page. You are lucky to still go camping, in my case not before the end of next april...

Philippe

[ Edited ]

It works.

Normandy farms has a captive screen.. This summer I was not able to connect.

I am there now, with my Nanostation set as Router, and I was able to connect.

Here is what I did:

Set Nanostation as suggested earlier.

Used POE and connected Nano directy to my laptop.

Locked to SSID

Logged on my laptop, and followed the logon prompt to accept Terms and Condition to get access to Internet.

Connected my Nanostation to WAN port of ASUS Router.

Set ASUS Router WAN Settings to same as WAN Setting on Nanostation.

Now all devices just connect to the SSID on my ASUS router, and have access to internet.

Thanks to everyone.  Bonne Chance flipland.

This thread also has some information I used to set up my RV with my ASUS Router and Nanostation.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Installation/Nanostation-M2-set-to-station-attached-to-WAN-port...

Hi RaiderNation,

Great it work for you.
For the terms and conditions, was it on the same page for the the logon or on an other web page?

Flipland

At Normandy Farms, when you connect to their wifi, you then have to open a browser, and check the box that says you accept the terms and conditions, then you can press the button to connect to their wifi.

When I was there this summer, I was not able to connect.  Not sure if it was the AirGateway, or the settings on the Nanostation.  On this trip, I followed these steps, and all worked:

Connected nanostation directly to laptop via LAN port on Nanostation M2

Locked AP to the Normandy Farms SSID

then on my laptop, I opened a browser and accepted terms and conditons.

then I disconnected nanostation from laptop and connected to WAN Port of my router

then I changed my WAN settings on Router to same as WAN Settings on nanostation.

finally, I had to re-boot router, and all devices connected to my router, either through cat-5e or wifi worked.

On another note, they usually reset the wifi connections each day, and you would have to repeat the steps to get connected.  With this set up, using the nanostations and ASUS router, I connected once, and none of my devices ever got asked to repeat the acceptance of the terms and conditions.

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty late to this thread so I hope nobody minds me necro'ing it. Anywho, I was just at Picacho state park and I too used their Airebeam public wifi. I setup the Nanostation in 'Bridge mode' ('Network' tab > 'Network Role' > 'Network Mode: Bridge').

I found that although service was good I had a hard time keeping logged into my Airebeam account and so I would have to navigate back to the Airebeam login page to re-login. Also, I'm not sure why, I would get an error from the login page 'RADIUS server timed out'. If you experience the RADIUS issue I would release the current DHCP address and this seemed to fix that issue, at least temporarily.. As for logging into the park wifi I would navigate (using the browser) back to the page and sign in using the account I purchased the first time I logged in. Try this url "http://hotspot.airebeam.com/login". Hope this helps Cheers2

I'm not sure the original problem ever got solved here. I think there are two issues getting mixed up: 1) how to agree to terms and conditions on a captive portal page and 2) how to log in to a network that requires both a username and password that pops up on a splash page. The original post was about the problem of inputing a username, not agreeing to terms and conditions.

I just set up the nanostation in my RV and created a private network with a TP link nano travel router. It so happens that the first park I visited after building the system used Tengo Internet, which requires a login on a splash page, asking for both a username and a password. The problem was that I could "lock to AP" on the nanostation, but no splash page would pop up. When I tried opening a browser to get the splash page up, no luck, no splash page, just a message saying I wasn't connected to the internet.

Here is what ultimately worked for me:

I locked to the Tengo AP on the nanostation. Then, with my computer still connected to the nanostation via ethernet cable, I turned the computer's wifi back on and connected to the Tengo SSID on my computer via wifi, entering the username and password on the spalsh page that popped up. Suddenly, the magical yellow light on the nanostation lit up and it was connected to the internet, the Tengo internet. I'm presuming that since I was locked to the AP on the nanostation and still connected via ethernet to my computer, the computer"shared" the log in credentials with the nanostation. Then, I just disconnected the ethernet cable from my computer and connected it to my travel router. When I did that, the Tengo internet splash page popped up again, presumably to give the router "permission" to connect. After that was done, I went back to wifi on my computer and connected to my private network, broadcasted by the travel router. Voila! The whole system was working. After that, two smart TVs, two iPhones, an iPad, and an Amazon fire stick all connected to my private network with no problems, and the whole coach had internet.

I'd be interested to know if this works for others.

[ Edited ]

I think both issues you described are the same.  If the nanostation can lock on to an AP, but cannot access a web based "captive Screen" for either acceptance of T&C, or another log-on screen, then it won't work with a router in the RV.

I think the trick was to have the nanostation in Router mode, instead of Station.  

Basically, what I said I did at Normandy farms earlier.  Connect laptop to nanostation, lock to AP, accept T&C, then plug nanostation into WAN port of Router.  Not sure turning on the wifi makes a difference.  If the Nanostation is in Router mode, and the laptop is DHCP, then you should be able to access splash screens from laptop. This will enable the IP or MAC of the Nanostation to Route the traffic to the Router, where you can assign DHCP addresses behind it.  Once the nanostation is authenticated, then traffic goes through to the router.

I had another friend who was not able to connect with the nanostation in station mode, even though it would lock on to the AP.  I could give the laptop a static IP in the subnet of the campground, which would enable the laptop to get on the net, but I could not get the traffic to the router.   He was in a different part of the campground, that was using repeater access points to connect the the access points that were broadcasting tthe SSID from the campground Router.   I am hoping that by putting the nanostation in Router mode, with the LAN/WAN Settings as above then it will work.  Find out when the snow melts.  Should be about 5.5 months from now.

You may be right here.

The solution that worked for me worked with the nanostation in Station mode. I am just about completely illiterate where networking is concerned, and I was following David Bott's instructions (from Outside Our Bubble website) on how to set up the nanostation system in my RV. He suggests Station mode, so I wasn't brave enough to start messing with any setting changes. Station mode it stayed!

Turning the wifi on, after locking to the park's AP on the nanostation, allowed me to connect to the park's SSID (tengo internet) with my computer's wifi. In other words, both my computer (over wifi) and the nanostation (still connected to computer via ethernet) were on the same SSID (tengo internet). While no splash page popped up with the wifi off, the computer connected to the nanostation via ethernet, and the nanostation locked to the park's SSID, it popped up immediately as soon as I connected over wifi on my computer. I logged in, and a few seconds later, the nanostation's yellow light lit up. I have had to do the same process a couple of times since the first, as the park's wifi credentials expire and require a new login periodically, seems to be every 48 hours. The same process has worked every time, with the nanostation in Station mode.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat. Looking forward to hearing about your experience in 5.5 months. Cheers!