Kudos: 1

Re: interference / noise following every channel change on Rocket 5AC Prism

@UBNT-SNKyou have to be like 40 cm close to the radio to hear the scratching noise.

I measure the loss in real time with clients beign not able to download or upload  anything (also me not beign able to get into the client radios) until I change the freq.

Latency times on clients go sky high, when normal latency times are around 10ms more or less, when this happens latency times go to 200-300ms.

I've had support guys at clients calling me to tell that they dont have conection, even when the radios are well aligned and paired.

So my final conclusion is this is not just a visual bug.

From the 100% Ac RP gen2 I have on field around 40% have this problem 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2181
Solutions: 335

Some electronic devices produce a low-volume tick sound, which may be what you are hearing. I have yet to see a device where this was cause for alarm.

Are you using automatic transmit power control for your CPEs? Can your AP hear any of your other APs?

Yes I have automatic power control on, on CPEs.

Also I can hear my APs, in some cases I hear 1 and in some cases I don't hear any.

They are all with GPS Sync fixed 5ms 67/33

I only replicate freq when APs are far away without line of sight, and I dont hear the APs with the same freq.

Kudos: 95
Solutions: 21

I continue to see this: often -60 to -40 noise level showing right on the spot of my channel. after reboot it will go a way and come back when I am not looking.  It involveds a number of devices, across the range, PTP links more often than PTMP links.

had thought this is GUI issue, as previosuly suggested by UBNT , will have a closer look into performance.

UEWA, MTCNA, MTCTCE

same problem here. this self-noise happens after V8.5.8 update of Airmax and AirmaxAC devices. I have around 20 devices like this. But only devices that is configyred as AP presents this problem. I have no choice but to keep it in operation albiet with performance problems.  Hope UBNT can fix this soonest

Ubiquiti Employee

There may be a couple of issues going on here:

1. I and others have seen a GUI issue where the airView scan reports the AP and its clients as noise; when this occurs, it does not always indicate 'real' interference.
2. Self-interference due to network setup and signal level issues.

@ValleyView please let me know if you do see performance issues here.

@arnoldqp2000 which version where you using before? Unless you changed the wireless link mode, channel, bandwidth or power, the change to v8.5.8 should not cause any difference in this regard.
Highlighted
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

@erchacar wrote:

.... you have to be like 40 cm close to the radio to hear the scratching noise.

This is a common switching power supply fault.  It will likely be putting out a massive amount of RF over the VHF and UHF spectrum, with mixing products and harmonics well into the GHz region, accompanied by a huge swath of wideband white noise.  It will test well outside of 'not compliant' for RFI/EMC.  Try your FM radio in your vehicle - I bet the FM broadcast band is completely obliterated by this faulty AP.

I have been fighting this issue for months now.  I thought it was an issue in the area of our tower as there are several wisps working in the area.  It seems to be more prevalent with one specific radio but I've seen it at times on other ones.  We are using RF element 60 degree horns.  Capacities showing in 200 range but throughput in 10-20 real world.  -52 db

If you restart rocket interference goes green if you switch frequency back and forth clean for a few minutes then back to dark red.  I've never checked for audible noise as they are 144 feet in the air.  

A solution to this would be awesome.

[ Edited ]

I think you will have to start swapping things out. I'd replace the entire AP unit including antenna for something completely disparate - if that doesn't lose you the problem completely, then the problem is elsewhere.

edit: What is the theory with the horns?

RF element horns are supposed to provide superior sheilding and less side loving(sp)

@mdodge wrote:

RF element horns are supposed to provide superior sheilding and less side loving(sp)

What is your opinion of them?  How do they compare to a dish?  Gain is pretty good considering their small size..

I use plenty of dishes for distant spot beams - never thought to use anything else.

Overall we like them but they do reduce the range as gain is reduced.  We've also tried a test site with the ubquiti prism station AC and they performed quite well.  For distance regular sector antenna are the way to go.  

This self created interference is really causing me headaches and I don't believe that replacement of the radio and antenna will resolve the issue.  

I believe this is a software related issue.  

I'm interested in seeing what upgrading to 5.8.11 will do.

@mdodge wrote:

This self created interference is really causing me headaches and I don't believe that replacement of the radio and antenna will resolve the issue.  

You can say that, but it doesn't help you.  We might be wrong and we might be right.  What matters most is a straight factual answer whatever that might be, and there's no other way to get it.  Definitely upgrade the firmware first.

Kudos: 4

@mdodgeHow far are the customers from the PrismStation AP? My customers are 3,5km distant and I'm thinking about switching one Rocket 5AC Prism + Sector TI 45 to one PrismStation AC + Horn 30. I can't get more than 20 mbps aggregate and 3 mbps per customer, previsously they were receiving 10 mbps each, and 50-60 mbps aggregate.

Tks

Mauro

Ubiquiti Employee

@mdodge sounds like you are thinking of side lobes. How are your radios mounted? Horns are going to give you some benefit in regard to self interference if your radios are mounted in a certain way where they are hearing each other's transmissions, but not in all cases.

@MANU_MAU narrowing your sectors is usually a good idea, but if the interference source is within your new narrower sector you might still be in the same situation.

[ Edited ]

@MANU_MAUhow many clients you got on that AP?

@UBNT-SNKThere are lots of radio ISP nearby, a few km to each other, but not close to the tower, there is only one radio close to the AP, one PBE-M300 operating in another channel.

Any frequency appears to have better capacity than the operating one, but switching doesn't help, the capacity drops to the same level as shown below.

APAirMagic.pngAPAirView.png

Customer ViewCPEAirView.png

25 in total.
1x PBE-M5-400 (-62/-64), 1x LiteBeam 5AC 23, 23x LiteBeam 5AC G2.
Average signal is -63, capacity 130mbps/105mbps, 20MHz, AMSDU ON, Data rate alternative, TDD Framing Flexible (new).
I've been trying another sets of combination but switching make things worse.